Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I need Credential Assembly Service (CAS) to ask for transcripts & Letters of Rec?

I know that I eventually need to pay for the CAS ($195) for law schools to see my application, but when is the best time to purchase it? I am registered for the November 2018 LSAT and wish to apply for the Fall 2019 cycle. Taking the Jan 2019 LSAT will be my last resort if I don't do too well on the November test (many schools I wish to apply to accept the Jan 2019 test). I have been focused on just studying for the LSAT and haven't been keeping track on the process of applying. Do I need to have CAS first before I contact my undergrad schools for transcripts as well as letters of recommendation from professors?
As many law schools have already starting accepting applications, I am getting anxious. I just want to make sure I don't mess up on anything on my law school applications and everything goes well!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

No, you don’t have to purchase CAS before doing those. However, they won’t process your transcripts until it’s paid. It can take them a few weeks to process, FYI. So you can hold off, but if you do decide to apply, you’d have to allow a few weeks for the processing before you could have completed applications

• goodstrongwordsgoodstrongwords Live Member
    33 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    No, you don’t have to purchase CAS before doing those. However, they won’t process your transcripts until it’s paid. It can take them a few weeks to process, FYI. So you can hold off, but if you do decide to apply, you’d have to allow a few weeks for the processing before you could have completed applications

I will take note of that.
    Once my professors accept to write my LORs where exactly would the LORs be sent if I don't have CAS yet?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@juicyfruit said:

@"Leah M B" said:

I will take note of that.
    Once my professors accept to write my LORs where exactly would the LORs be sent if I don't have CAS yet?

You still can do it through LSAC. Have you signed up for an account with LSAC yet? It's free to register. You're able to use the site to request the LORs before you've paid the CAS fee. (At least, I'm pretty sure of that.) You do everything through LSAC like normal, they just won't summarize your transcripts or send reports to schools until you've paid the fee.