Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dress code for Law School Open House

LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Off-topic 126 karma

UPenn is doing an open house at a law firm in NYC today and I was wondering if office attire is recommended, for the reason the location is a law firm. I know the answer is probably going to lean towards yes. What do you guys think?

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I think your gut is leading you in the right direction.

• LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
    126 karma

Okay, I was secretly hoping to get mass comments telling me to wear the new dress I just got in the mail this morning.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@lolsat__ said:
    Okay, I was secretly hoping to get mass comments telling me to wear the new dress I just got in the mail this morning.

Throw a blazer over the dress and you’re good

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Please let us know how the event goes. Hope it's fun.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@oshun1 said:

@lolsat__ said:

Throw a blazer over the dress and you’re good

Nailed it! Haha.

And do update us on how it goes. :)

• LSAT2019-2LSAT2019-2 Alum Member
    126 karma

Haha, the event was very informative so I'm glad I went! There were two admissions reps but only one presented (she was very engaging, is a Penn alum and Philly native) and also two recent alumni, both working in NYC biglaw currently. I didn't know Penn emphasized the "inter-disciplinary" approach to law -- I think around 30% of students get dual degrees (check website for exact stats) with the most common one being MBA/ JD. If I heard correctly, this is the most popular dual degree option and you have to apply to the MBA program with an additional JD application supplement. I think all the joint degree programs require a separate additional application. There's also many certificate programs, which can be thought of as a "minor" in law school (interesting analogy they shared). UPenn has two phases of Early decision apps. I was pretty impressed with how they seem to have a lot of career services support with 10+ counselors working in their center.

The only negative thing about the event was its timing at 7PM to past 8PM, that's smack in the middle of dinner time for me. It makes sense for the alum though since 7 is probably when they get off work.

Hope this was informative! I'm not sure how I feel about Philadelphia yet as a place to live, but PennLaw is definitely on the top of my list. :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@lolsat__ > I'm not sure how I feel about Philadelphia yet as a place to live, but PennLaw is definitely on the top of my list. :)

I feel the same!! Seems like a fantastic school but idk about living in philly. Looks like the school is right on a river tho which is cool.