PT72.S2.Q24 - Library preservationist: Due to the continual physical

AyahhhhhAyahhhhh Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Logical Reasoning 90 karma

Hi all,

When should we look at the context of a stimulus when considering an answer choice. After CC, I was under the impression that we should always disregard context; however, a lot of correct answer choices take context into account. For example in PT 72 S2 Q4, the correct answer is A, and the subject matter of A falls within the context, so I immediately crossed that answer out.

Is there a particular rule to follow in regards to context and when to disregard?

Thanks in advance!

**Admin note: **
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-2-question-24/

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I don’t think we should ever disregard context. The rule I follow is that everything they provide to us on an Lr problem is fair game for a question. At the very least, I tell my students to take note of the context's existence: it is not impossible for an answer choice to play to the context's content. It is also possible for the context to be entirely irrelevant to what the question is asking us to do.

More specifically tailored to your precise question, what is it about 72-2-4 ("stovetop burners") that contains an issue of context?

• AyahhhhhAyahhhhh Alum Member
    90 karma

Thanks for your response, @BinghamtonDave! The question I am looking at is 72-2-24, the library's collection on medieval manuscripts. There are about 7 lines of context followed by a 'however' and the author's argument. While the context includes a lot of relevant information to the overall argument, I thought we should only consider the author's argument-- everything else is just noise.

So if the context relates to the argument and is not irrelevant, should I take it into consideration when looking for the correct answer choice?