Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA addendum- can someone take at look at my situation?

JCUI7455JCUI7455 Free Trial Member

Hi! I am an international student who studied in a liberal arts college in the states and had a cumulative gpa of 3.41.

Although my cumulative gpa is low, a closer look would reveal a significant and consistent upward trend in my grades. Specifically, it went like 2.98, 3.23, 3.88, and 3.75 for my four years (my major gpa was 3.7 in political science), and the courses I took increased in difficulties as I progressed (especially the last two years,where I took high level political science and economic classes). I had been educated in a drastically different country and English was my second language when I got into college, and adjusting to that new environment was definitely a challenge.

I was wondering how strong a case I can make, given these facts, and how much would it matter for T14 law schools when they look at my gpa.

Thanks in advance!

TC

Comments

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

I think that showing progression, especially during progressively harder major classes, with the ELS background, does count toward you. I'd personally do an addendum of like a paragraph or two (at most, keep it brief) on this and then add it to the whole package.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I don't think you need an addendum. They'll see the upward trend when reviewing your file. The reasons you gave for lower performance at the start aren't things that were out of your control.

And I'm sure your DS or PS will mention that you aren't a native English speaker.

You're going to need to kill the LSAT. But it's not the end of the world. Plenty of people have gotten in with GPAs lower than yours.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Just write exactly what you said here! The general advice is to address any downward or upward trends in your grades with an addendum. Although it will be visible in your transcripts, you dont want to leave admissions guessing as to what happened in the beginning with your lower grades. Admissions like to see an upward trend in gpa and you have a solid explanation and it comes with an overcoming all odds story with you learning a new language and adapting to a new environment in college. This will make a great addendum and adcomms will be sympathetic to your situation. I also think you should write a diversity statement as well!! No need to mention grades in your diversity statement but it sounds like you have a story to tell about being an international student.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I also think it makes sense to write an addendum. Basically just what you said here, keep it very short. Note that when you first began college here, it of course was in a new country and you were still working on your English. The improved grades show that you adapted to the change and that you are better prepared now for law school than you were earlier.

• JCUI7455JCUI7455 Free Trial Member
    78 karma

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

An upward trend is good. Also, being bilingual is a good credential for a future law student.