Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long does it take to blanket the T-14?

I'm reaaally struggling with the idea of balancing Applications and studying. For those of us testing in November, I figured we want to get our apps in asap once our scores come back. But I'm leaning toward waiting to do my apps until after I take the test because I've read the admissions centers are closed for holidays anyways so it makes no sense to apply in the middle/end of December. That would give me about a month and a half to complete all my apps. Is that enough time for a solid application?

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 2124 karma

If you still have a lot of essays to write, I would suggest working on them as you study. I personally don't think a month and some would be enough time to work on your personal statement if you're starting from scratch, however I'm pretty sure it can be done. You want to have enough time to thoroughly proofread. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm hoping to get my personal statement and diversity statement, finalized asap so I have time for the other supplemental essays before November.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

It’s taking me a long freaking time /cryface

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@Kermit750 said:
    If you still have a lot of essays to write, I would suggest working on them as you study. I personally don't think a month and some would be enough time to work on your personal statement if you're starting from scratch, however I'm pretty sure it can be done. You want to have enough time to thoroughly proofread. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm hoping to get my personal statement and diversity statement, finalized asap so I have time for the other supplemental essays before November.

Definitely seems smart to at least the personal statement done. I'm really hoping the absurd amount of papers I wrote in Undergrad will allow me to breeze through these essays.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes it's true that admissions will close for winter break. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't matter when your app gets in. They will still generally read them in the order received and a lot of people that are still in undergrad also use the winter break to finish apps. It would be ok to turn them in in early January, but much better to get them in by November or December. You can also even send in applications before your LSAT score is in. They will hold it as incomplete and then complete it as soon as they receive your score (which is sent automatically by LSAC).

It's definitely a tough balance. You'll have to decide on your own how to work it out, of course. But if you haven't started essays at all, I'd at least take some time now to brain storm and maybe write something really rough just to get a start. It does take a while to get all the applications done... every school has their own guideline for how to submit things. Even after I finished my PS last year, I didn't realize how I may have to tweak it for multiple schools because of length, or topics addressed. It's a real pain haha.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

If all of your essays are completed or near completion, then yes.

• It's doable depending on how long you take to write your essays. If you were someone (like me) who applied to wayyyy too many undergrad institutions (20+), you can feel better knowing that there are far fewer supplemental essays to worry about when blanketing the T14 (at least from what I remember). That being said, there's still a lot haha. I have a few T14 schools replaced by T20 schools in my "basket" and about 6/16 lack any supplementary essays at all (yippie!) minus the PS and DS. Only around 4/16 have a separate and explicit "why X" essay options which I like because I found those to be the most time-consuming when applying for undergrad (with all the research involved). Your best bet is probably to check 7Sage's updated list of application requirements per school and the advice they give for which/how many supplementary essays are suggested for each school.

• sn11_________sn11_________ Alum Member
    103 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    Your best bet is probably to check 7Sage's updated list of application requirements per school and the advice they give for which/how many supplementary essays are suggested for each school.

Where is this list? Can you link it?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Even after I finished my PS last year, I didn't realize how I may have to tweak it for multiple schools because of length, or topics addressed. It's a real pain haha.

I'd love to submit apps in November. I think I'll work on them whenever I'm feeling a little burned out/ tired of drilling.