Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Submitting Perfect Verbal/Average Quant GRE Score - 7Sage Forum

Submitting Perfect Verbal/Average Quant GRE Score

publilius syruspublilius syrus Free Trial Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 10 karma

I'm in a bit of a predicament with my GRE score.

I took the GRE in 2017, intending to use it to apply to humanities PhD programs. Law school wasn't on my radar then, nor had the law school GRE pile-on begun. Thinking that only my verbal scores would matter, I didn't bother studying for the quant. I scored a 170V and 158Q (69th percentile) and a 5.5AW.

In February 2018 I took the LSAT and got a 170.

My question is whether I should submit my GRE with middling quant score to law schools where submission is optional if you have an LSAT score. (Some schools require you submit the GRE no matter what if you took it in the last five years.) For example, if I apply to Harvard will they be more likely to see my 170V as a boon or my 158Q as a detriment?

Will the GRE even matter if I have a solid LSAT?

Comments

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

I'm pretty sure Harvard requires submission of all GRE and LSATs taken within the past five years. They don't, however, have to report a GRE for somebody with an LSAT so I don't think it matters too much.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It's hard to say because there's just so little data out there about law schools and the GRE. I think it would make sense for them to be more interested in the verbal than quant, but can't say for certain if that is true. A 170 LSAT is very good, and if it's not necessary to submit the GRE I think I might not. That might be a good question for admissions, particularly if you go to an LSAC forum or something similar. How do they evaluate the GRE, are they concerned at all about the quant portion or just verbal? I'm not sure that's something that anyone can really answer now, with so few schools accepting it and it being a very recent development.