LOR from employer - advice?

xtinextinextinextine Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 861 karma

So I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I have two LORs already from professors, but I'm still not sure if I should ask my boss for a LOR? I know you only really need two letters, but I've been working for this office for two years now. This job has really opened my eye up to the law and is something I discuss heavily in my personal statement. Because of this, I wonder if adcomms would wonder why I didn't get a LOR from my job? I've been told that this isn't true -- that adcomms understand that some people can't/won't get LORs from their employer because of job security. And while I don't believe I'd be fired or anything, I just don't want to create an awkward environment for my boss since I've not really mentioned law school with them.

My plan right now is to wait until I take the November LSAT, see how I feel about the test, and then re-evaluate as I finish up my applications. I suppose I'm venting/looking for any advice from anyone who's been in a similar position? Would the lack of a LOR from my employer negatively impact my "soft" factors?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Law schools understand that people may be fired or treated differently if they bomb drop to their employer that they don’t plan on working long term. I’ve gone to a few t12 dean speeches and they’ve mentioned an employer LOR isn’t necessary and they don’t expect you to risk your job.
    Don’t mention it to your boss. I worked at a law firm that seemed very supportive at first but they started being really hostile with me when they realized I’m aiming for a substantially higher ranked school then where they went.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

I don't think your case is different from other gazillion cases.

I'm still not sure if I should ask my boss for a LOR?

No.

I wonder if adcomms would wonder why I didn't get a LOR from my job?

No.

Would the lack of a LOR from my employer negatively impact my "soft" factors?

No. God, I wish I was at Vegas right now!

@oshun1 said:
    they started being really hostile with me when they realized I’m aiming for a substantially higher ranked school then where they went.

Talk about insecurity...

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@oshun1 @FixedDice

Thank you!! Just needed some reassurance. Sorry that happened to you, @oshun1

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, agreed with the others. And if you've only been out of school a couple of years, law schools generally prefer academic references anyway. Their interest is really in knowing that you'll be a good student, not necessarily your work product.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@"Leah M B" Thank you, that helps so much!