Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Appropriate Font Size for Personal Statement?

tulitorotulitoro Free Trial Member

If the PS instructions do not specify a font size, is it acceptable to use 11 pt. font? If so, should the rest of the application materials be uniformly at 11 pt. font?

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

If the PS instructions do not specify a font size, is it acceptable to use 11 pt. font?

Yes. But you may want to check with each school, just in case.

If so, should the rest of the application materials be uniformly at 11 pt. font?

Depends on the school, actually. Out of all schools that I will apply to during this cycle, only one school specifically stressed that all materials should be presented in uniform font size.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think that it looks more polished overall if you use the same font size for your various documents. I think that 11 is as small as you should go unless otherwise specified. It might seem like you're using small font because you couldn't fit your PS or something. And it just starts to get difficult to read if you go any smaller.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

A lot of schools address font size in their application instructions (be sure to read closely!). After reading through several, it seemed that 11 point is the size that meets most, if not all, schools' requirements. Some say no smaller than 11 point, some say no larger than 12, etc. 11 point should meet most standards, but be sure to read all instructions carefully - you may have to change it depending on the school.