PT5.S1.Q5 - Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe

The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Logical Reasoning 662 karma

this is a weaken question

the conclusion is that those skilled workers who remained in EE will be in high demand

Premise: highly skilled workers left for the West

B is clear to me as the correct answer choice
but i could not get rid of D (in fact, in PT i changed from B to D);
if those countries plan to train many new workers to fill the positions left by those skilled workers, wouldn't D also weaken the argument?

thanks for the help!

Comments

• PearlyGoGoPearlyGoGo Alum Member
    171 karma

Hi

I think (D) would be too weak to really have any impact on the argument. First of all, "plan to do sth" sounds too weak for me since they could totally plan for sth without doing it or countries could still fail to train new workers even if they implement their plan. In addition, it may take years to train those new workers to become highly-skilled workers, so we don't know when will they replace those emigrants. In this case, skilled workers remain in EE could still be in high demand in their countries.

On the other hand, (B) is much more straight- forward by telling us that although supply for skilled workers is down, demand is also decreasing. So, the conclusion no longer stand.

Hope this help!

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@PearlyGoGo

thank you for your reply! I have been reading explanations on other forums as well;

I think B is clearly the better choice than D; while choosing D, i made the erroneous assumption that training workers will have negative impacts on the demand; but it can go the other way around

As you said, B is a really weak choice;