Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A lengthy question about getting back on the horse after burning out last go around

frecklefacefreckleface Alum Member
in General 10 karma

Hi all --

I'm looking for some advice in terms of studying for the LSAT and pacing myself leading up to my upcoming exam.

A little background: I took the February exam this year. I also took a course leading up to it (Test Masters), and while I really liked the course, and I really threw myself into it, I realized after I got my score that maybe cramming all of that information in 3 months wasn't the best for me. When I first took my dry practice test on the first day of class, I got something like a 145. My score definitely improved a ton through the course, and by the time I was taking practice tests independently leading up to the test, I was pretty consistently getting 160s. I also got some 170s too, which was encouraging but seemed too good to be true.

And I was correct. I don't know what happened, well, I kind of do know what happened because logic games are usually my strength and I sort of froze after a very confusing section, plus my reading comprehension stands to be improved....and let's be real, I make silly mistakes in logical reasoning too. I ended up getting a 150, which was pretty disappointing. I definitely put way too much pressure on myself and burnt out on test day.

So, I'm taking another stab at this via 7sage. I just took my practice test and got a 159 (161 BR). I want to take a disclosed test next time around because it really sucked not to know what I got wrong, so, I can't take the test until June. That's a lot of time. I want to use it wisely but also not die/fizzle out. But I'd really like to aim for a 170. Is that insane? Can I do this without losing my mind? As a 26 year old, am I running out of time/waiting too long?

Honestly, this is all so foreign to me because I would theoretically be the first lawyer in my family and I certainly was not surrounded by lawyers growing up or even in college. I work in politics now, so really it's tough to detect sincere advice :)

I hope I don't sound like a complete dummy!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

It is definitely NOT insane. I work in government with the legislature and I totally get what you mean about the advice.

June is eight months away. That seems like a long time but it's really not in terms of LSAT studying. Lots of people on here study for a year or several years to get into the 170s. My advice would be to take your time (2-3 months) to really go through and absorb the CC. Then spend a month or two drilling sections and foolproofing games like crazy. That'll give you a few months to dedicate to PT and BRing before the June test.

• mbednarzmbednarz Member
    15 karma

Coming from someone who has been putting this test off for years...I would study at a slow, steady pace. Maybe don't let yourself drop it entirely for more than a week or two, but study when you feel motivated and inspired. Make it a meditative and positive experience. A few months before the test, as MissChanandler said, start drilling like crazy! Until then, just keep test day in mind as being far away, but approaching.
    I will be 26 in a few months, I also work in government for the legislature. I'm a working, independent adult, I am terrified of performing poorly. We have a lot in common!
    My mentor did not go to law school until he was over 40. He is brilliant and thriving in his field. He did nothing in his twenties or thirties or even right after undergrad to set himself up for law school. This goes to show that it is NEVER too late to pursue law school and a career in law. In 20 years, you will look back and think "Wow! I had so much time, even though I thought I was running out and too old to chase something new. I could have done it a hundred times by now."
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that law school is only a young mans game! It certainly is not! (and also we are still pretty stinkin' young!!)
    Best of luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Welcome to an excellent study site, by the way.