Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 170!

James DeanJames Dean Free Trial Member
edited August 2013 in General 297 karma
So, my recent PT score was 170 timed, 180BR! I'm pumped. Thanks 7Sage, everything is coming along nicely.

-0 LG
-1 RC
-4 LR
-5 LR

I missed 3 questions because of incorrect bubbling, though I circled the correct answer! Just a warning for others out there. Be careful bubbling.

I missed 2 because I ran out of time on the first LR and guessed on the last two. The lesson I learned from this, is not to vacillate on questions. There were a couple early on that I wasted time on. You really have to trust your intuition on some of the questions, and realize you don't have time to do a full diagram, etc... you just have to select an answer just because it feels right.

I missed one because I didn't know the definition of a word used. lol

In the end there was only one that I feel I "should've" gotten wrong as it took a long time on BR to solve.

All of the errors could have been avoided had I not misread details while being rushed. I felt like slapping myself on most of the errors I made.

Anyway, just a "high five" to JY. Thus far I've gone from a raw score in the 50's before 7sage, to a 66 midway through, 70's after the course, to hitting 89 on a 99point test after a few tests/BR.

Comments

• Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    That's awesome! Congrats to you! I know you must feel great!! =)

• Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    Ps, if you don't mind me asking....

How long did it take you to improve your speed? Any tips?

I am still working my way through LR (taking the December test) and for the practice questions....I have been answering them really slow. My accuracy is pretty good...and when I get a question wrong I can understand why. Just a little concerned because the LSAT is all about speed.

Congrats again on the great score! WooHoo!
  • James DeanJames Dean Free Trial Member
    edited August 2013 297 karma
    It's a slow progression.

When I did the LR curriculum, rather than timing the entire section at the recommended time (15 minutes if I remember correctly), I would set a timer for each question at 1:30. After awhile of doing that, you basically program a timer in your head and you just "know" when you've spent too much time on a given question. Do time yourself, even on the practice sets. Then go back and BR them before checking the answers. At first you'll hate it, but you'll become more efficient. You'll learn what to look for, and how to quickly eliminate wrong answer choices, something I feel is a big part of improving on the LSAT.

BR is a tedious process, but that is what makes you better. I don't see taking the test as improving anything. It's just a display of your current aptitude. It's analogous with sports. Take any sport. The games just display the skills that you've acquired through hours of practice. That's what the tests are. Just a display. Progress is made in reviewing.

My watch is my life support on timing... I use it to dictate my speed as I go through the section. I'm to the point where I can usually do the first 15 in 15 minutes. Before I made 10 in 10 my goal. I'm now working up to 20 in 20.

Sorry for the rambling. I don't know if I answered anything. Best of luck . Just be patient . Enjoy the pain of plateaus. Just keep pushing yourself, and slowly you'll see results. However, there are times something just seems to "click" and you'll make 5-10 point jumps.
  • StephenStephen Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Hey man. Glad to hear. It's always nice to hear success stories. Keeps people in the middle of studying motivated.
  • reynolds.443reynolds.443 Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    Just got my first 169 on practice tests earlier this week. Nice work on that 170!
  • jrkovalsjrkovals Alum Member
    183 karma
    Congrats, man. I second what Stephen said above. I was in about the same boat as you coming into 7sage. Since I've felt much improvement. I'm hoping to have as much as you. Keep up the good work and good luck on actual test day.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    Congrats! :)