Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To take, wait, or just move on? Impact on admissions & LSAT

Hi 7sagers,

I need advice both on the LSAT and admissions fronts.

I got the flu a few days ago the week before the November LSAT. I’m definitely not missing my yearly vaccine again…lesson learned. I’m finally feeling better, but I’m not certain if it’s a good idea to retake the test this weekend.

My question is the following:

If I decide to withdraw from/cancel the November test, submit my applications with my current score, and potentially register later for the January LSAT to retake, would the schools I applied to start reviewing my app or wait to see my new score?

I wouldn’t want all of my schools to wait to review my application since I haven’t even figured out whether my chances of admission are better if I get a higher score provided that I retake or if I submit my applications earlier without retaking.

I’m also wondering if it’s possible to submit some applications with my current score, then later register for the LSAT and submit additional applications with all scores, but not have that affect/halt the review process at the schools I have already applied to.

Thanks in advance for your help!


  • Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

    Oh man... so sorry about the flu! I got it last year. Well, this year really... in late January, right as I was trying to finish applications. I literally sent out some of my apps while I was in my bed with a 101 fever lol. Just crossed my fingers hoping that in my flu-ridden haze I hadn't misspelled my name or something haha. I promptly got the vaccination in October this year. Everyone, get your flu shot!!!

    Ok, that said, it depends on the school. I attempted to do this last year, I took the December LSAT and was planning on re-taking in February. If you are registered for a future LSAT when you submit your application, most schools will hold it as incomplete until you take the test. However, you can email admissions and ask them to mark it as complete and review it with your current score. That is what I did after I sent my apps out. But unfortunately, one school (USC) said they have a strict policy that they will not review an application with a pending LSAT. My only options were to wait until after I take the test for them to review it or withdraw my registration.

    So, I would advise if you want to go that route that you call or email each admissions office and ask what their policy is. Good luck!

  • LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

    I applied to 13 schools with my September score and I'm retaking Saturday. My app is complete/under review at every school. I've been accepted to one school and have had three interviews at others. I did not have to do anything extra, except at Boston College, I had to fill out a form stating I wanted them to review my app with Sept score. FWIW, I applied to schools scattered in T6-T18, and a couple schools in the 20s.

  • Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

    I had my worst illness in years the week before my test and I still performed +/- 3 my PT average. If that's an acceptable outcome for you I'd consider taking the Nov. test.

  • _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

    I’m pretty sure one of the 7sage sages had the flu during their lsat and was coughing and wanted to cancel and ended up getting like a 174. If you’d be happy to score near your PT average on the lsat then I would go for it. If your PT score isn’t where you want it to be then cancel.

Sign In or Register to comment.