HELP - didn't meet withdrawal deadline

ecarr_12ecarr_12 Live Member
in General 187 karma

What happens now? What shows on my record ? I was in a car accident 2 days ago and although I've known for some time that I was going to withdraw from November, I stupidly waited and then forgot due to obvious circumstances. Now I'm freaking out.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Contact LSAC. With extenuating circumstances such as a car wreck, there may be something they can do. Otherwise, my understanding is that it will appear on your record as “Absent.” Not a huge deal; things happen. You may want to write a brief addendum explaining the circumstances, but shouldn’t have a negative impact on your applications.

• ecarr_12ecarr_12 Live Member
    187 karma

@"Cant Get Right" The LSAC site states that "If you fail to cancel your registration, your LSAC file will note "absent." (This is not a score of zero, nor will it be factored into any reportable scores on file.)"

Would you happen to know if this means that schools will/won't see it, since it won't "be factored in" on any reportable score file?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Not sure what that means. Could mean schools won't see it, but the "factored into" language sounds strange for that. Why not just say it won't be reported? I suspect that may indicate that it won't count towards the average score band which is calculated from all of your scores.

Give them a call, but rest assured that even the worst case scenario here really isn't much to worry about.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

To my knowledge, schools will see it. They see cancel and absent, the only one they don’t is if you withdraw before the deadline. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

I’d call LSAC to see if they might possibly have lenience with the extenuating circumstances and if you can talk them into not reporting it as absent. But if they do, you could just include a super short (like 1 sentence) addendum saying that you were in the car accident and that made the withdraw deadline slip your mind. Schools won’t think badly about it.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    To my knowledge, schools will see it. They see cancel and absent, the only one they don’t is if you withdraw before the deadline. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

I’d call LSAC to see if they might possibly have lenience with the extenuating circumstances and if you can talk them into not reporting it as absent. But if they do, you could just include a super short (like 1 sentence) addendum saying that you were in the car accident and that made the withdraw deadline slip your mind. Schools won’t think badly about it.

Schools will be able to see absences and cancels but I agree with Leah. I think you should first call LSAC.