Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait a year for U.S. citizenship or apply as a green card holder

Hi all.

My yalie friend recently told me that certain schools take U.S. citizenship favorably into consideration when determining admission. Currently, I am a green card holder and will be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship on 2019. I am an URM. Does it make sense for me to wait until the next application cycle when I have U.S. citizenship and (hopefully) and improved LSAT score?

Pretty sure I bombed the November test so I will most likely need to retake the LSAT anyway.

Comments

• fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
    404 karma

Citizenship should NOT be the reason you put it off, especially if you're a green card holder. Citizenship issues factor in most likely for employment related issues, and as a green card holder, you have all the same employment benefits as a citizen. If you still feel unsure about it, you could probably make a note in your application saying that you will likely become a U.S. citizen by the time you graduate.

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

RIP international students :neutral:

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

So you did not ask about this, but I believe general scholarship funds require citizenship. I could be mistaken, and I am sure that some private funds do not, but if you want a decent scholarship from the university`s general fund you might be best served to wait a year. Assuming I am indeed correct about this.