Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS- Too Risky of a Topic?

TEXASAggieTEXASAggie Alum Member
in General 106 karma

I am stuck between 2 PS topics and would love your feedback on one of them.

At some point in my college career, I was part of a student teaching placement, wrote a scathing letter to a Superintendent (oops!), and got a call from the Dean of my college to meet. Entering the meeting, I thought that I was getting kicked out and leaving the meeting, he offered to set me up with a meeting with the Regents of the top law school in Texas (and a warning of course!).

Is this topic too risque for my PS? I dont want to seem like I question authority and go rogue. Thoughts?

PS--I didn't take him up on that offer...

Comments

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    323 karma

I had a similar dilemma and I'll give you the advice that was given to me...

I wrote my first personal statement which was about hardship and challenges growing up in a socioeconomically unfriendly environment. While it was all true, it was depressing and instead of leaving you with that, "Yay! You got outta there!" feeling, it kinda left you with more of a ""Holy shit... This person is probably scarred for life..." impression. I sent it to a few friends to proof and most came back with: "In todays sociopolitical climate and considering your audience, you might want to keep the lurid details of all that to yourself."
    But, one person replied: "I see what you are doing here and it is very compelling, but might I suggest there's a way to tell this story without it coming across so grave as to the imply that it could be problematic."

So, I would say the same thing to you. You can use the topic, just choose your words wisely and set the tone to your advantage. Were you a troublemaker who stepped way out of bounds and wrote a "scathing letter" to a Superintendent? Or, were you the only person who possessed the courage, went out on a limb at great personal risk, to critically engage with a superior about a seriously unjust situation? Something like that... Then you could admit that, in your naivety, your passion momentarily overcame your understanding of conventions, and now, having matured since then, you realize that you were out of line, etc... I don't know the particulars of your situation, I'm just making up examples but you get the idea. Does that help?

• TEXASAggieTEXASAggie Alum Member
    106 karma

@Supernovice THANK YOU!!! You just provided the language for the revised version :) SINCEREST THANKS!

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    454 karma

I'd be careful with this. I think the first question is, what was this letter about? If you we're standing up for a social justice issue that you felt was really important, then it could be a good topic. But if not I'm skeptical.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I do not think that’s risqué at all. Go for it.