LSAC GPA 4.0 or 4.33?

roxy_31512roxy_31512 Free Trial Member

In the Academic Summary Report provided by LSAC, I see my Degree GPA- is my re-calculated GPA out of 4.0 or out of 4.33? Thanks!

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited December 2018 2689 karma

It should list your lsac calculated gpa, too . If you go all the way down, you see "Degree (summary) GPA:" and across from it, a "Cumulative GPA". The Cumulative is your lsac calculated GPA.
    I believe the scale is traditionally to 4.0. Anything above that is icing on the cake. I think Harvard's 75%ile is 3.97.

• roxy_31512roxy_31512 Free Trial Member
    16 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    It should list your lsac calculated gpa, too . If you go all the way down, you see "Degree (summary) GPA:" and across from it, a "Cumulative GPA". The Cumulative is your lsac calculated GPA.
    I believe the scale is traditionally to 4.0. Anything above that is icing on the cake. I think Harvard's 75%ile is 3.97.

Thank you

I didn't expect my 4.125/4.5 to be converted to 3.88/4.0 (I thought it would be 3.66/4.0). I okay with this boost.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

LSAC weighs grades super hard. B-'s are not B's, for example. They are less-than-B's. On the flip side of that coin, an A+ gets you an extra bump, as they see them as 4.33. And they count every grade you have. ever. had., even if you redid them and had the old grades undone. So, for most people, their LSAC gpa will wind up being less than their normal GPA. For some, significantly less. Because the LSAC are evil (there's another thread on this general concept). :lol:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

They convert to a 4.0 scale, but their scale does allow for A+ to count for 4.33. (Which I've complained a hundred times but still will, drives me crazy because my school doesn't give A+, highest grade is an A. I wish LSAC would do a 4.0 scale, ugh.)

Here's a link to their grade conversion: https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-school/jd-application-process/jd-application-requirements/academic-record#GradeConversionTable

16 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    LSAC weighs grades super hard. B-'s are not B's, for example. They are less-than-B's. On the flip side of that coin, an A+ gets you an extra bump, as they see them as 4.33. And they count every grade you have. ever. had., even if you redid them and had the old grades undone. So, for most people, their LSAC gpa will wind up being less than their normal GPA. For some, significantly less. Because the LSAC are evil (there's another thread on this general concept). :lol:

Thanks for your reply! I was expecting my GPA to be lower after LSAC converted it, but it got a boost.
    My school GPA is 4.125/4.5 and if i convert my GPA it should have been 3.6/4.0 but on my Academic Summary it's 3.88 (assuming that this is out of 4.0 and not 4.3). I don't get this...

16 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    They convert to a 4.0 scale, but their scale does allow for A+ to count for 4.33. (Which I've complained a hundred times but still will, drives me crazy because my school doesn't give A+, highest grade is an A. I wish LSAC would do a 4.0 scale, ugh.)

Here's a link to their grade conversion: https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-school/jd-application-process/jd-application-requirements/academic-record#GradeConversionTable

Thanks for this!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Yeah @"Leah M B". It is really an unfair feature of the system (my school didn’t have A+’s either). It really allows one to negate the effect that any B+’s might have on your overall GPA. Oh, well...