Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admin please delete (so sorry!)

edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 534 karma

Hello admin, please delete this post. I’m so sorry about the inconvenience!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

They're interested in the group(s) you identity with. They aren't asking you to check the boxes that you think will maximize your chance of being accepted.

• @10000019 said:
    They're interested in the group(s) you identity with. They aren't asking you to check the boxes that you think will maximize your chance of being accepted.

The entire point of my post is that I identify with both. I just identify with one more than the other and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to put that I identify with just one or as two or more races.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited December 2018 3279 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

@10000019 said:

The entire point of my post is that I identify with both. I just identify with one more than the other and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to put that I identify with just one or as two or more races.

You modified your original post which makes my first reply less relevant. Your OP came off as "which boxes should I mark to ensure I have the highest chance of being admitted."

In light of your modified post and reply, I would suggest you mark both boxes. You said you identity with both groups. Your DS or PS could clarify that you identify more with one group.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    Hi everyone,

I identify primarily as Black and am perceived almost 100% of the time as a Black woman. I also identify, though, as partially Native American (one-sixth to one-eighth to be specific). Because of some family dynamics, I did not grow up knowing the native side of my family. That being said, we re-acquainted about a year ago. My tribe approved my application for tribal membership last year, but I haven't gotten around to officially getting a tribal I.D. because it requires some in-person tasks in a state other than the one I reside & tribal I.D. ceremonies only happen 1 to 2 times a year.

All that to say, I'm not sure if I should should identify as both races on my applications. The issue is not necessarily that I don't believe I have a legitimate Native-American claim (my tribe is the only one who can determine that and they have determined that I do), but that my diversity status becomes complicated when I identify as "two or more races". Does anyone have suggestions for how I should identify on my apps?

Yeah I would say check both boxes, and update them with your tribal I.D. once you get it. Write a very short addendum explaining your situation with the I.D. and write a DS highlighting both of your background. This way you wouldn't be running into any issues later on etc. Hope you find this helpful.

• edited December 2018 534 karma

@10000019 said:

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

@10000019 said:

You modified your original post which makes my first reply less relevant. Your OP came off as "which boxes should I mark to ensure I have the highest chance of being admitted."

In light of your modified post and reply, I would suggest you mark both boxes. You said you identity with both groups. Your DS or PS could clarify that you identify more with one group.

I modified my original post because I was trying to avoid an Affirmative-Action debate (of which I personally think it's fine, legal, and moral for minorities to be concerned with being "counted" as a minority). My issue/concern is what's discussed in this NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/10/us/10count.html?_r=1&hp

"And students of non-Hispanic mixed parentage who choose more than one race will be placed in a “two or more races” category, a catchall that detractors describe as inadequately detailed. A child of black and American Indian parents, for example, would be in the same category as, say, a child of white and Asian parents."

In my applications, I want to identify as both the races that I feel represent my identity, but not at the expense of highlighting and recognizing my blackness of which is by far one of the largest parts of my identity. But, I don't understand the admissions process enough to know if that's how it works. Sorry, it's hard to convey my dilemma via this post.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I suspect that it will make little actual difference in terms of URM boost, but it might make for a more interesting diversity statement. Anyways, I think you should always go with how you actually identify. It’s tricky here since I assume that you just go along with the “black” label that others perceive you as, but if your native background is important to how you perceive yourself, then you should absolutely identify as “two or more races”. You seemed the think that that brought in complications, but I wasn’t able to discern why you thought that was so.