Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chances at Texas Tech? GPA 3.39, LSAT 152 URM

cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
in General 737 karma

Hey everyone,

So I used the law school predictor tool using my stats as a URM: 3.39 and 152 LSAT and it says I have a 79% chance?

I don't mean to undermine the methods here, but it almost sounds too good to be true. Anybody have experience applying here or know anybody with similar stats as mine and how they may have fared?

If it helps to know I also have a Masters and have been a bilingual middle school teacher for 5 years.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

You're below their median LSAT and you're just above the median GPA. I don't know how much being a URM will help you at that school (my intuition is not much).

Not much info about the school on LSN and I doubt you'll find anyone on 7sage that is attending that school.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Check out Law School Numbers to see similar applicants and what their softs were, etc. I think it sounds like a reach school but not a crazy reach.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

This may or may not help, but IMHO, if you want to go, take your shot and apply. The thing about models you have to remember, they are accurate over large numbers of people. For example, given your noted percentage of 79%, the model would suggest that out of 100 people, 79 of them would be admitted. The issue for us is that as a sample size of 1, we don't know if we are one of the 79 admitted or one of the 21 not admitted. Bottom line, these models can predict for large groups of similarly matched applicants, not us as individuals. They cannot accurately assess how we as single data points will fare in the admissions process. (Yes, I have a masters in statistical analysis, I'm a closet geek.)

Bottom line: Regardless of what any predictor tells you, if you are interested in the school, submit an application. That will be the best way of showing you in real time if you can get in.

Good luck!

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    Check out Law School Numbers to see similar applicants and what their softs were, etc. I think it sounds like a reach school but not a crazy reach.

Thank you. I saw some applicants with numbers similar to mine and there were several that were admitted and they were non-URM's.

Is it a reach though? I feel like its more of a target school, but I guess its a reach since I'm under the median. Man i'm nervous. Thank you again.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Your LSAT is below the 25th and your GPA is below the 50th so I'd consider that a reach. I usually think of a target school as one where both of your scores are right around the 50th.

737 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    This may or may not help, but IMHO, if you want to go, take your shot and apply. The thing about models you have to remember, they are accurate over large numbers of people. For example, given your noted percentage of 79%, the model would suggest that out of 100 people, 79 of them would be admitted. The issue for us is that as a sample size of 1, we don't know if we are one of the 79 admitted or one of the 21 not admitted. Bottom line, these models can predict for large groups of similarly matched applicants, not us as individuals. They cannot accurately assess how we as single data points will fare in the admissions process. (Yes, I have a masters in statistical analysis, I'm a closet geek.)

Bottom line: Regardless of what any predictor tells you, if you are interested in the school, submit an application. That will be the best way of showing you in real time if you can get in.

Good luck!

Thank you again, @LSAT_Wrecker ! Thanks for the analytical feedback. If you were in my place applying to the same school looking at those chances of admission percentages, would you feel good with your chances?

737 karma

@10000019 said:
    You're below their median LSAT and you're just above the median GPA. I don't know how much being a URM will help you at that school (my intuition is not much).

Not much info about the school on LSN and I doubt you'll find anyone on 7sage that is attending that school.

I thought being a URM gives you a decent boost at most schools, no? Why do you think it won't? Just curious. Thank you for your feedback though I really appreciate it!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@cgracia12 said:

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

Good luck!

Thank you again, @LSAT_Wrecker ! Thanks for the analytical feedback. If you were in my place applying to the same school looking at those chances of admission percentages, would you feel good with your chances?

FWIW, I have a spread sheet with all the schools I applied to on it (9). Two data points included on that spread sheet include the 7Sage prediction and the LSAC school / GPA / LSAT prediction (for each school I applied to). While I feel "good" about any school with >50% chance of admission, I don't take anything for granted. I put in a lot of work on my essays, personally visited 6 of the 9 schools, and try to maintain a cordial but not-annoying relationship with admissions people.

Specifically about your question, a cautious "yes, I would feel good," but I don't feel comfortable until I receive "Congratulations" in an email or a phone call.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@cgracia12 said:

@10000019 said:

I thought being a URM gives you a decent boost at most schools, no? Why do you think it won't? Just curious. Thank you for your feedback though I really appreciate it!

Generally the higher the ranking of the school the bigger the boost for being a URM. And the lower the ranking of the school the less of a boost.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Sounds like you've got a good chance, but please apply to more than one school.

737 karma

@10000019 said:

@cgracia12 said:

@10000019 said:

Generally the higher the ranking of the school the bigger the boost for being a URM. And the lower the ranking of the school the less of a boost.

That's true, I forgot about this.. :o

737 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Sounds like you've got a good chance, but please apply to more than one school.

Oh yeah, I definitely am applying to more than one school.