Resume-Software Developer

MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member

Hi,
So parts of my resume seem to make sense only with jargon like "Implemented a web application using Java, Spring Framework etc". I feel like adding that level of detail indicates the challenge related with the work or the research process that goes into it.
However, I think the general advice for LS applications is to cut down the technical jargon and write it differently. For anyone who's been through this or is going through this-How do you address that?

For example, I also had a research assistantship where I had to do some challenging R&D to develop a small tool. How do I say this without sounding pedantic or overplaying/underplaying myself?

Any information will be appreciated.

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@MindyKale said:

For example, I also had a research assistantship where I had to do some challenging R&D to develop a small tool. How do I say this without sounding pedantic or overplaying/underplaying myself?

Well.... kind of like that. Just like how you explained to us what it was. I totally understand that you had challenging R&D projects and made a tool. That's pretty cool. If you went into the more technical aspects, however, I might not get what it was you did. I don't imagine there are a alot of programming admissions folk out there.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I came at this problem from a slightly different angle. I had to translate military speak from my 25 year career into civilian talk. What helped me is getting people with zero military exposure to take a look at my resume and tell me what they think I did. That really helped me refine my language. I think focusing on plain language is probably more beneficial in this setting.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I came at this problem from a slightly different angle. I had to translate military speak from my 25 year career into civilian talk. What helped me is getting people with zero military exposure to take a look at my resume and tell me what they think I did. That really helped me refine my language. I think focusing on plain language is probably more beneficial in this setting.

This seems like a great idea!
    Thank you!!

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

Also, if you don't mind me asking. Can you read and review my resume?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@MindyKale said:

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

Also, if you don't mind me asking. Can you read and review my resume?

Sure, hit me up PM.