Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conditional Scholarships vs. Good Standing Scholarships

OvercomerOvercomer Free Trial Member
in General 96 karma

What's the difference?

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Not an expert, but based on what I have seen offered, a conditional scholarship will place a certain percentage requirement (top 25/50/75% of class) whereas a good standing scholarship merely means you have to do well enough not to get kicked out (or placed on probation).

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

A scholarship based on good standing means that you have to abide by the rules and requirements set forth in the student handbook. Be a decent human being, act with professionalism, and don't engage in plagiarism. A conditional scholarship usually requires you to maintain a certain GPA/ranking in order to keep your award. If you receive an award letter and are unsure what it means, call up the Admissions Office and ask lots of questions.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed with the points above. However, I’d still call a good standing a scholarship a type of conditional one. The condition is just different. The real opposite is a scholarship with no conditions whatsoever. That is the best type. One that simply requires good standing is probably tolerable. I’d be careful to know exactly all the requirements, and look at the schools’s ABA 509 report to see how many students lost their conditional scholarships at that school. It can be very enlightening.