Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

American with international education

Reissie73Reissie73 Member
edited January 2019 in Law School Admissions 81 karma

I'm an American citizen but also French and I've lived for 6 years in China- studied there a year and a half and got my bachelor's in France. Also was homeschooled...
So first, how do law schools view foreign educated people?
I got 164 LSAT on 3rd try but my foreign degree from France is supposedly only B level even though they are thought of as good scores in France, and my addendum will be that I actually didn't even speak French when I started the bachelors lol.
I got my transcripts evaluation back only a month ago and it says the studies I've done are not equal to an American bachelor's degree... does that mean I should throw all I've done out the window? Will no top law schools accept that?
Also how much will my international/weird background help me out? or not??
I just don't know where I should apply realistically. I've heard law schools don't really care about foreign GPAs because they don't need to report them.
Thanks a lot for the help >.<

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

This is definitely an odd situation. From my understanding, law schools are typically cautious about international students for a couple of reasons. First, when English is not their first language, American law schools will definitely present a challenge. Second, there is the question of visas etc. Neither of these will be issues for you, presumably. I think that your background could make for an interesting personal statement or diversity statement, but I don't think it will give you a huge quantifiable boost on its own. Since you don't have a GPA, I think your best bet is to apply widely and see what happens. I would apply to several schools with 75ths in the 160s and several with 25ths in the 160s.

• Reissie73Reissie73 Member
    81 karma

Thanks @MissChanandler! By in the 160s, do you mean possibly above 164, or highest probably should be 164?

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Sorry, I should have worded that differently. I would apply to some schools with 75th around 164 and some 25ths around 164 (give or take a point or two). So, a reach for you would be Northwestern or Cornell. A safety might be IU or Ohio State.

• maria wilksmaria wilks Alum Member
    14 karma

Hey Reissie73, I am in a similar boat as you were. I wonder what the outcome was? Would you be willing to share? Thank you