Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long did it take you all to have that "Aha" moment for LG?

BrianAggieBrianAggie Member
in Logic Games 124 karma

Currently going through the CC and fool proofing the problem sets. I have done a decent job at diagramming but i am finishing the games at a slower rate. It is also taking me a while to make inferences for certain games. I'm guessing this is going to take a while? Lol

Comments

• KlaraHenryKlaraHenry Alum Member
    edited January 2019 57 karma

hi! games are my worst section, I can't say I've had one "aha" moment as much as a series of improvements (I guess "mini" aha moments") over time, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by fool-proofing. something that really helped me while fool-proofing was keeping lists (I just use a google doc) of all the games JY covers in the CC in each unit (e.g. game one and two of the first problem set in the In/Out unit, game one in the In/Out unit with categories, etc.), and then adding my progress/data for each game. I've been listing how long each one took me the first time (and if i got anything wrong), and then on every subsequent re-do I'd write down how long it took me after. I can start to see patterns that way much better and hone in on which games give me the most trouble, and it's nice to see improvement from the first attempt, and you highlight certain tricky games so you remember to go back and keep hitting the ones you have difficulty with.

While I recommend working through games by unit this way, it's also sometimes good to sit down and just do three games in a row that are all different types---obviously it can be super beneficial to drill only one game type til you "get it," but then remember to toss in another type to make sure you can quickly switch back and forth (as you will need to on the real exam), and to keep all different kinds of game strategies fresh in your mind. I think some people are just naturally incredibly adept at drawing inferences quickly; maybe some of us not so much, but the key is to do what you're doing (make sure you do a few games every single day!) and ensure you know how to diagram correctly, draw all the inferences and get the correct answers, and then start to worry about speed afterwards

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Took me going through the CC twice and foolproofing pt1-35 twice

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma

It can take time. Easier said than done, but it comes down to quality over (quantity of time put in to games).

Definitely fool proof, but make it about the quality. When you watch JY's video after your first game, do it actively. Pay special attention to how he tackles the parts of the game where you struggled. If there was something challenging to that specific game, look for what he does to address it - those are your "AHA" moments. That's the exact word I use when I teach my students about fool proofing.

The two most critical parts of fool proofing are:

1) Watching how JY does it - specifically for "Aha" moments when he uses a tactic to efficiently solve something that through you off orginally.

2) Re-doing the game until those Aha moment strategies become habits for you, until it's muscle memory and you almost instinctively employ those tactics automatically. Students often wonder why we're redoing a game 3-10 times under fool proofing - sure, you almost know it by rote memory - that's not the point. The purpose is to put what you learned into muscle memory so it's automatic in the future. And no, you'll never see that exact game again on test day but you WILL see those patterns repeated in future games, and you'll be prepared through the fool-proofing process.

• BrianAggieBrianAggie Member
    124 karma

Thanks for the help guys!!