Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reapplying After Turning Down Full Scholarships?

So, I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I know I can score higher on the LSAT, and I'm still waiting to hear back from the majority of schools on my list. However, a few have admitted me with full scholarships. All of those are within the top 70-100 in terms of ranking to give you an idea of ballpark here.

Now, I know that increasing my score a few points and applying super early next cycle could better my chances for admission to some better ranked schools, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight or experience on if reapplying next cycle to some of these same schools that offered me full rides would hurt my chances at 1) re-admission and 2) similar scholarship offers from them.

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Congratulations on your offers and awards! As you consider your next step, please consider that you were admitted to certain schools with scholarships based on the strength of your application against the rest of the applicant pool for this cycle. You cannot predict how strong the applicant pool for next year will be, nor can you predict what the priorities of the admissions committees will be next year. For the next cycle, a school might decide to try to increase their GPA median by a certain amount, or raise their LSAT median. A candidate who looks like a rockstar in one cycle, in a different cycle, against a different pool, could look perfectly ordinary or merely WL-worthy. There is also no guarantee that you would receive the same scholarship award from the same school in a different application cycle. Budgets can change from year to year.

If you apply to the same schools next year, anticipate that you would have to update your application: refresh your resume, change the date on your LORs, and change your writing pieces a bit to show that you aren't just recycling an old application.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Can confirm, I have first-hand experience with @"selene.steelman"'s point above. Received a full tuition offer from a school last year, decided to re-apply. Received about a 2/3 tuition scholarship this year. Ouuuch. They appear to be making a push to bring their LSAT median up by 1 point, and mine was median for last year. So now appear to be 1 point shy of their goal. Haven't negotiated yet, but hoping they'll be able to match or come close again.

• Super SaiyanSuper Saiyan Member
    edited March 2019 112 karma

Thanks so much, @"selene.steelman"! That was extremely comprehensive and helpful.

Hi @"Leah M B", that's still a fantastic offer! I have a few questions for you about the etiquette involved in reapplying to a school in light of a solid offer from a previous admissions cycle.

1) How did you figure out the law school's push to up their LSAT median by 1 point? Did the school relay that to you? Did you inquire?

2) How did you turn down the school's offer last cycle? In other words, last cycle, did you offer any explanation of why you turned down their full ride or give the school any kind of heads-up (work-related/personal reason) that you would be rejecting their offer and potentially be re-applying next (this) cycle?

I'm totally happy to continue the discussion via direct message, if you'd prefer not to answer that in this thread! Just really nervous about this whole process and could use any advice from success stories (which I do consider yours to be!).

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

1) Just by perusing LSN and looking at offers this year vs last year. It appears that folks with an LSAT 1 point above mine are getting the kinds of offers that folks with my LSAT got last year. Plus, many schools were able to raise their median LSAT this year but this school did not. So, makes sense they would be trying to keep up with competing schools.

2) I did, although I admit that it was not a very good reason lol. I probably should have thought it through a bit more, but was under a lot of pressure with the deadlines and didn't spend enough time thinking about it.

I'll shoot you a PM with more details, don't want to go too in depth publicly. :)