Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to take the lsat too many times?

tayanthony31tayanthony31 Core Member
in General 81 karma

Im planning on taking the june lsat and the September Test for good measure. The transition to digital has made me nervous on top of the fact that my score will determine the next few years of my life (no biggie right 🥴) so im thinking about also taking the November lsat. Will that look bad? I already have a low gpa will i look desperate with 3 lsat scores under my belt? Or what if i get only do well on 1 test? How does it make me look as an applicant?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

In my opinion, three really isn't that bad. However, if you already know that you won't be ready in June, I would strongly recommend that you not take it. While it's not necessarily detrimental to have multiple scores, it's ideal to just have the score you want.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    In my opinion, three really isn't that bad. However, if you already know that you won't be ready in June, I would strongly recommend that you not take it. While it's not necessarily detrimental to have multiple scores, it's ideal to just have the score you want.

Came here to pretty much say this!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agree with the others above. The best plan with the LSAT is to only take it if you are ready. If you do think you're ready, go ahead and take it in June.

However - I'll throw this out there. I know there is some anxiety about the July test because some testers will have paper and some will have digital, and you don't know which you'll get. But, for the July LSAT only, LSAC is allowing everyone to view their scores before deciding if you'd like to cancel. And if you cancel, they are giving you a free registration for a following test. So, it sounds like that could be a great set up for you. You'll have the option to view your score and then can decide whether or not you want it on your record. And if you're not happy with it, you'll get a free registration for September or November. It's very low risk. That would give you a few extra weeks to study, and the peace of mind knowing that it's no big deal if you bomb your first one.

For your question about number of takes, I think schools will not think much of it up to about 3 tries. More than that and you may need to include an addendum. I personally took the test twice and scored 4 points lower on my 2nd try. I didn't address this with the schools at all, and it looks like my cycle played out with the higher number. Schools really only care about your highest LSAT, since that's what's reported for rankings.