Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this to risky for a personal statement??

turbodogturbodog Alum Member
edited April 2019 in Law School Admissions 41 karma

In thinking about what I plan to write my personal statement on I am a bit torn... I am an extremely high functioning adult (40), with Bipolar 1(1 is the most sever type), which does classify as a mental disability. Do you think this is to iffy of a topic? I have never done anything but fight to rise above this label. There is no tragedy in my discussion of my road. It would be a positive narrative, not a "why me?" or a "I've suffered so much.". I've always approached my disability with a "bring it on" attitude. The odd thing my husband and I have discovered is that the nature higher education (speed, long hours, stress, and such) is oddly enough a great outlet and quite therapeutic... Anyway, I think it is good narrative I am just not sure if my PS is the good place to tell it. Any time put into giving me advise will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited April 2019 1025 karma

I'm not qualified at all to say whether or not it's a good topic for a law school PS. However, if this topic is not a "why me?" or a "I've suffered so much" then I would be so interested in reading this!! It's about you and I would imagine it has in some way affected your decision to go to law school. The topic is unique and is a challenge you clearly have a grip on if you're at the stage of applying to schools. From the way you describe this idea, it seems like your situation fits into the theme of an old quote, "Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will." To me, the way someone handles their "dealt hand" speaks volumes about who the person is. If I was in their position and a PS is genuinely written like this, then I'd 100% interview the person wanting to know more. I don't have much insight about the admissions perspective on this but at least I can tell you how I would respond to it (for whatever it's worth). I hope some very knowledgeable 7sagers weigh in on this topic, thanks for sharing.

• turbodogturbodog Alum Member
    41 karma

@the Determined C Thank you so much for your response. :smile:

• Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
    394 karma

I would tend to agree with @TheDeterminedC. I don't think there are many topics that are inherently off-limits; it's all about your tone and presentation. You can have the "best" topic and flop on your PS because your tone is haughty, whiny, or resentful. Your story has the redemptive quality to it - and it's real! if you have serious BD, that means that your functioning did not come easily. This shows character and grit.
    Obviously, you should check with someone more qualified, but those are my thoughts.
    Good luck!

• 246 karma

@turbodog said:
    In thinking about what I plan to write my personal statement on I am a bit torn... I am an extremely high functioning adult (40), with Bipolar 1(1 is the most sever type), which does classify as a mental disability. Do you think this is to iffy of a topic? I have never done anything but fight to rise above this label. There is no tragedy in my discussion of my road. It would be a positive narrative, not a "why me?" or a "I've suffered so much.". I've always approached my disability with a "bring it on" attitude. The odd thing my husband and I have discovered is that the nature higher education (speed, long hours, stress, and such) is oddly enough a great outlet and quite therapeutic... Anyway, I think it is good narrative I am just not sure if my PS is the good place to tell it. Any time put into giving me advise will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds fairly interesting, if you can tell it in a cohesive and authentic narrative then why not go for it. I can’t think of any particularly strong reason for why this should be off limits.

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

I would say this is indeed an iffy topic. Iffy only because it will rely heavily on your presentation of your condition. For example, I believe it a fair assumption that while recruiting individuals for a school, the admission officers have several things in mind: Can they succeed in school (are they able to deal with the academic stress), can they work independently (self-motivation), are they likely to be hire-able after graduation, and stuff of the sorts. I am not saying that outright stating your condition will negatively effect you, but you do need to consider the 'implicit' biases of individuals which is to say the stigmas surrounding certain things.

This being said, if you present it correctly, say, as something you have indeed 'conquered' or 'control' or something of the sorts, then it can certainly be a magnificent topic. I know personally that my PDD/MDD have caused me issues in school and life in general. However, I haven't ever considered myself a victim of my 'disorders' and have always taken the appropriate steps to constantly move forward and better myself. In fact, I wrote my entrance essay to my University based on this. . . and was accepted with a below minimum average (55%) where the minimum is usually 65% at the VERY lowest and 70% traditionally as the bareminumum.

My Uni took a chance on me because of what I wrote and how I wrote it. There is no doubt that if I had chosen any other topic, that I would have instantly been declined.