Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you be successful putting in 50-55 hours at a t14? And as a lawyer?

MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
edited April 2019 in Off-topic 976 karma

I want to go to a t14 and afterwards work in international law / digital law (not big law). My personal work-life balance is 50-55 hours of full-time studying or full-time work. Is putting in 50-55 hours a reasonable expectation to succeed at a t14 and in said legal fields? I know it depends on the person; in my case, I intentionally limit the amount of time working / studying so there is pressure to work more efficiently (more time doesn't mean better results). Any opinions or experiences? Thanks in advance.

50-55 hours yes/no?
  1. Will 50-55 hours work at a t14 and in international or digital law?23 votes
    1. Yes
      52.17%
    2. No
      47.83%

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited April 2019 23929 karma

I don’t think anyone can really predict one way or the other. That’s going to depend entirely on you and things like reading speed, how easily you understand the concepts, how much reading your prof assigns, and what you deem “successful.”

The work-life balance varies between firms too greatly to say. Int’l and digital law are very vague terms. I’d probably go ahead and say 50 hours a week probably isn’t a reasonable expectation for any firm job, large or small.

I have also lived with/have friends who are in law school. Yeah, they work(ed) a ton. But we all went out 1-2 times a week outside of a memo being due or finals season. So for that I’d say 50-55 hours a week seems reasonable.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

As a 1L at a T-14 I can say that you can treat law school like a 9 to 5 job and be okay. More important than the time spent per week - is keeping up with work. There is no "cramming" in law school, at least in my experience. When you cover a topic in one of your doctrinal classes - you need to go home and engage more with it in order to truly understand it.

So on any given day you'll be in class 3 to 5 hours and the remainder of the time should be keeping your outline up to date, doing readings, and asking questions at office hours.

Weekends can be kept fairly free - unless there is a memo or something due - and can just be used to supplement your week of work.

Honestly as long as you keep yourself organized you wont implode!

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Thanks so much for the helpful response!!!