Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving science/economics comprehension

horsegirl.jpeghorsegirl.jpeg Alum Member
in General 60 karma

This question may have been posted previously in regards to science, but as somebody who studied liberal arts I find the economics and science questions in logical reasoning and reading comp way more challenging because I have to take extra time just to understand the content otherwise I end up not understanding entirely which leads me to the wrong answer. I read a bit of science and economics on my own but I was wondering if anybody has any tips for this? Publications to read etc?

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Sometimes the science passages are just complex. Obviously someone who studied that particular topic is better equipped to understand, but you just need a basic idea of the concepts to comprehend what the passage is communicating. The structure is far more important. There are good publications out there like the Economist and Scientific American, but simply practicing more RC will probably help the most! Always prioritize understanding structure over content. Have an internal dialogue in your head like "oh here are examples illustrating this principle" and then "oh wait a second some scientists have developed a new theory that is contradicting this other one" or whatever. Make a note whenever the author gives their opinion or qualifies what has been stated by other people throughout the passage with their own interpretation.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

You can gain a surprising amount of familiarity in subject matters with overviews on youtube. CrashCourse and Kurzgesagt are great channels. They're edutainment channels, they make the material really interesting, and they cover a lot of different stuff very concisely. They obviously won't cover everything you might see in an RC passage, but they can give you frameworks on how these subjects are studied, along with the broad areas within the field which passages are likely to fall within.

• 5MoreMinPlease5MoreMinPlease Yearly Member
    128 karma

I agree with CantGetRight - we just gotta make the effort to explore ourselves a bit on the side. If you're a podcast kinda person, RadioLab is pretty neat too.