Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations Reading Light Fields of Law?

CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Off-topic 148 karma

Hi all,

I'm trying to keep my motivation about deciding to go for law school and I have a strange question:

Are there fields of law where you don't spend >50% of your time reading? One's that keep you away from a desk more or end up being more interpersonal rather than solitary in nature?

I am not a huge fan of reading in general, I have a reading disability and it's very taxing to do for long periods of time.I know that will mean Law School will be horrible but I'm prepared to do that if the pay off is a job I like. Everything outside of the reading makes me feel like I'm a good fit for the degree. I am aware reading is a necessary part being a lawyer, but if my job was almost all reading I don't think I could do it.

I am currently most interested in Public Defense or possibly some kind of Policy Council. Are there other fields of law you think I should look into?

I'm not trying to make money, mostly just trying to do public interest kind of stuff/stick up for the little guy.

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

Read - 24 Hours with 24 Lawyers: Profiles of Traditional and Non-Traditional Careers by Jasper Kim.

And yes I realize that it is ironic that I am posting book given your thoughts on reading lol, but it is a light read and could give you some insight into the kind of job you are looking for with a law degree.

• CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
    148 karma

@zacharytsmith26 I'll try and pick this up. Which professions does it cover?

• SuperMario929SuperMario929 Alum Member
    464 karma

@zacharytsmith26 @CircleTurk I just picked this book up myself and it's enjoyable (though somewhat stress-inducing). It covers: 1) corporate transactional lawyer; 2) prosecutor; 3) criminal defense attorney; 4) general practitioner; 5) IP litigator; 6) finance and banking lawyer; 7) wall street lawyer; 8) venture capital investor; 9) mediator/arbitrator; 10) litigator (general and commercial); 11) military judge; 12) marine judge advocate; 13) lobbyist; 14) IGO chief; 15) law professor; 16) energy law attorney; 17) technology and banking lawyer; 18) DUI defense attorney; 19) legal guardian (state appointed); 20) media and entertainment lawyer; 21) musician; 22) music industry consultant; 23) sports broadcaster; 24) politician.

I've read three of them thus far and have enjoyed it!