PT48.S3.Q12 - poet Luise Gluck tradition (author's attitude question)

EuripidesFanEuripidesFan Free Trial Member
edited December 2015 in Reading Comprehension 83 karma
I just don’t see where the author endorses anything. The author, to me, doesn't seem to reveal anything about where he/she comes down on this debate. I just can’t find one word that would do this. It seems instead, that the author is going out of his/her way to stay detached using phrases such as “she points out”, “she maintains”, “they maintain” “Gluck observes”. Could someone please point out one word that indicates the author is not indifferent?? I hate to say it, but JY did not provide much of an explanation on this question, though he is great with the other questions. (Still got much love for you bro!)

Passage: http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-48-section-3-passage-2-passage/
Questions: http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-48-section-3-passage-2-questions

Comments

• ewb08640ewb08640 Free Trial Member
    19 karma
    Attitude questions are always hard for me as well because they usually rely on evidence that is very nuanced. Somehow I managed to get this one right though and I think it's because I realized that the content the author used seemed biased in favor of Gluck's responses to critics. I don't have the test in front of me right now, but, if I remember correctly, the author seemed to present criticisms and then counterpoints that maybe undermined such criticisms beyond a point of neutrality.
  • ewb08640ewb08640 Free Trial Member
    19 karma
    To clarify: "criticisms" made by Gluck's critics.
  • EuripidesFanEuripidesFan Free Trial Member
    83 karma
    I completely agree with you, I simply was uncomfortable with assigning any attitude without an explicit remark that indicated such an attitude. I guess this passage proves that attitude can be assigned to the author based on the logical arrangement of the passage even without such an explicit indicator of tone.
    83 karma
    Thanks for your response.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited September 2013 14002 karma
    I could not have put it better myself: "attitude can be assigned to the author based on the logical arrangement of the passage even without such an explicit indicator of tone." I guess that's why it's "tacit" endorsement and not "obvious" or "explicit" endorsement.

After reading the passage, aren't you on Gluck's side? If you think about how that happened, of course it's owing to the way the author presented the information. He could have, using the same "detached" phrasing as "Gluck points out" "she maintains" to make you feel like Gluck is wrong. But we are rooting for her.
    83 karma
    I concede your point. Thanks.