Distracting RC thought during practice = "Whoa! Cool. I need to Google more about this topic!"

BenjiFrankBenjiFrank Alum Member

I have a deeply engrained habit of always writing down things that I think are interesting right when I encounter them.

I think I'll need to learn how to override this to make it through the RC section on time. I keep reading these passages and thinking, "Well this is incredibly interesting. I want to read more about this. Let me just quickly make a note to look this up on Wikipedia later." When I have really been under the gun with the initial couple full PTs I have taken I think I have somewhat stifled this urge but it's still there.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

I have started just keeping a log of what I've read that I fill in afterwards / when time has run out and this helps make me feel I have a chance to document what I read for future research but I still find myself wondering during the reading about this topic and realize I just need to squash this wonder about connections and implications that are outside the scope of what's written about in the text and required for the questions.

Either that or I need to find a test that measures my excitement around learning a little bit about everything.

Good luck to all with you studies!

Any direction towards what you do to remain hyper focused during RC readings on just what is required would be helpful.

Comments

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

Lol this is actually a strategy I also use to be more engaged in RC passages. Like "Oh cool, fun facts about a super random topic that I would NEVER otherwise learn about!" And I've definitely googled more than one RC topic after finishing the section. Kinda lame, but it works.

Another strategy I use is to not take any notes. I find that by not taking notes, I'm actually more engaged with the passage, and that taking notes and labeling different parts of the passage ends up distracting me from the bigger picture.

Good luck!