Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Way over time limit

ariinchargeariincharge Alum Member

hi all, i am consistently taking over 35 minutes to complete LR sections (im talking 20-25 minutes over). i fluctuate between -3 and -5 but it takes me so long. Im worried if i rush through in the 35 mins ill do a lot worse. Any suggestions?

Comments

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

We have a saying in the Army: “slow is smooth and smooth is fast”. When I first began studying in December, after my initial and disappointing diagnostic, I took what I learned and worked through sections slowly; making sure I understood how I was arriving at my answer choice. This would take around 45 minutes to an hour per section but I didn’t care. I knew that if I applied my skills precisely at a slow speed, I would eventually be more accurate at 35 minutes.
    I kept working until I got very close to scoring 180 several times in a row. Then, I added the timer (and was disappointed again!) and started working towards speed. Using this method, I was able to crack the 170s doing timed prep tests in about 5 months. Now, I have 7Sage Ultimate+ and I’m honing my skills even deeper - hoping for a high 170s LSAT and a top 10 law school.
    The resources I used during my initial 5 months were: All the Power Score bibles, the LSAT Trainer, The Loophole in Logical Reasoning, LSAT for Dummies, the Fox Logic Games method, Manhattan Logic Games, Ace the Logic Games, Expert level Sudokus from an app, dual n-back, and about 30 prep tests.
    It gets better, but it takes time, consistent effort, and the willingness to fail repeatedly before seeing results. Best of luck!

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

For me, doing cookie cutter review, recognizing recurring patterns in LR questions, made me a lot faster. Learning to get through the easy to medium questions faster while maintaining accuracy really pays off. You could identify questions with certain features and put them in a spreadsheet, or take screenshots/pictures of them and put them in designated folders on your computer/phone (for a virtual flashcard situation).

I'd also suggest trying to track how much time you spend on questions (I may be wrong but the 7Sage tablet simulator may do that for you) while doing timed 35 minute sections/full PTs. When your time is up, go back to questions you couldn't get to and take as long as you need to answer them (in addition to any other blind review).