Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highlighting and Underlining Strategies for the Digital LSAT

CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
in General 148 karma

Hi all,

I was wondering if folks have come up with any consistent/effective strategies for use of the 3 highlighter colors and underlining function on the Digital LSAT? This could be something like “Use yellow for premise, orange for conclusion, or use pink for key indicator words” etc.

I could make my own but I’m willing to bet someone else has figured out a good system. If there’s another thread on this I’m missing please feel free to link it!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

This is something I've thought a lot about, but haven't been able to come up with anything that feels particularly effective. For complex conditional relationships, I've tinkered with yellow for sufficient and orange for necessary, but that hasn't been very useful in most instances. I've used pink to highlight high-impact words like "probably," "intends," or "should," and that's been alright. Nothing beats just scribbling all over the page like a madman though, and all this has felt very aseptic to me.

• CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
    148 karma

It's been a little longer, anyone figured out a good method yet?

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

The best method for me was to get used to taking the test without underlining anything. So far its been working for me. The reason I won't underline is because when I try to, it underlines a different line a whole paragraph.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Ive been trying to do something similar. I will still let myself underline since that is still possible on the digital LSAT as far as I know. However, I don't really let myself scribble in the margins or write my low-res summaries next to the paragraphs in RC. Trying to get myself trained for that has certainly made the sections harder, but I think it is going to be worth it in the long run.

• lydia.huang105lydia.huang105 Alum Member
    41 karma

LR: they allow scratch paper and I've found it super helpful for any conditional relationships that's harder to keep in my mind. other than that, I use highlighter mainly for MC and a different colour for breaks or change of direction (i.e But, however etc).

RC: Same deal more or less, using highlighter to mark breaks, you can even just highlight the punctuation. on the paper I mark down low res. summaries with "slashes" (//) for breaks in paragraph.
    For example:
    1: old hypo //Au: no.
    2: prem. help Au // critics .... so on

Hope this helps! I've found that my marks are generally higher with digital because I spend less time avoiding bubbling errors and much much easier to go back to flagged questions.