Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best preptest score compared to average

aribanks25aribanks25 Alum Member
in General 12 karma

Hi all,
With the July LSAT only two weeks away I am starting to become worried and frustrated with my recent scores. My highest preptest score is a 167 however the average of my 5 most recent tests is only a 161-162 so I am very confused at why I did so well on that one and can't seem to reach anywhere near this score again. Is anyone having a similar problem? Also does anyone have tips on how to reach that top score I achieved again?

Comments

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2019 1866 karma

Hey there!

Tough position, especially when you know you've scored higher yet can't seem to get there consistently. I have a few questions though:
    What are your blind review scores? What are your section breakdowns for the 167 test and your recent exams? Also, how long ago did you score the 167, how many tests have you taken since, what kind of prep (drills, foolproofing, etc.) have you done between exams?

To be honest, it's gonna be hard to expect drastic improvement in two weeks, but addressing the gap between where you're scoring and where you could potentially score (based on your BR scores) might get you a point or two more, and at least set you up for a future exam.

• liubrianliubrian Alum Member
    edited June 2019 11 karma

I feel that sometimes it can be environmentally-dependent. My average is around a 174-175. My highest (180) was on a paper copy + early in the morning after I worked out and had a nice breakfast. I scored the lowest of my last 7 PTs (171) right after waking up from a nap and having minimal coffee/feeling like crap. If you're already scoring high, mindset and physical prep can make all the difference.

My issue now is adjusting to the digital; I've been consistently scoring 3-4 points lower on the digital compared to the paper version.

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

Ari,

If you reached that score once, I believe you can do it again and even do better.
    What worked for me when I was stuck in the low 160s (for 3 months!) was to keep a log of my missed answers and work on specific problem areas.
    I also worked through the Loophole in Logical Reasoning book and the Fox Logic Games playbook: both highly recommended supplements to the 7Sage CC. In fact, I’d give lots of credit to those books with getting me to -1 section averages in LG/LR.
    July is a unique opportunity to take the LSAT and see your score before deciding whether or not to cancel. To me that seems like a great opportunity to experience the full pressure of test day without risking cancellation of a good score if you happen to perform at your high end.
    Good luck, you’ll get there!

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

@liubrian said:
    I feel that sometimes it can be environmentally-dependent.... If you're already scoring high, mindset and physical prep can make all the difference.

Cannot overstate this. Your overall mental mindset at a particular time is important, too.

• DwaynetherockjohnsonDwaynetherockjohnson Alum Member
    14 karma

Hey, if I were you I would go and listen to the 7SAGE podcast. J.Y. addresses this in podcast #15!