Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A misson trip to south africa 2 weeks before september lsat!!! is it worth the risk as a soft or no

Hello! I am currently studying for the September 2019 LSAT exam, this would be my second time taking the LSAT. I took the June exam and scored 150 on the dot, but I am aiming for my LSAT score to be 168+ because of my low gpa. I recently was offered an opportunity to go to South Africa for a mission trip for human right and justice, which I think would be a great addition to my resume and application. I did a mission trip to Ireland my Junior year of college but I have been out of school for a year and am applying for this cycle. My problem now is that the trip falls a about two weeks before the exam. I would be leaving sept 6 and returning sept 15 with the lsat exam following 5 days later on the 21st. I need to make this decision now if I will be attending the trip. I am very conflicted and would love some honest advice. Will this be a soft that substantial adds to my application especially with a a lower gpa and with hat being said is it worth going the 2 weeks before the September exam. Btw I was planning to study on the plane an print out a few questions to do when I can, or is it not a soft worth risking that time going so close to the exam? please please if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it thank you best!!

To go or not to go
  1. Is it a soft that brings substantial weight to my application27 votes
    1. yes definetely go it is a great soft
        3.70%
    2. no, not a vital soft
      66.67%
    3. go and study while you are there as much as you van
      29.63%

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I think you should go on the trip if you want to, but don’t do it for admissions purposes. You already have a mission trip on your resume, so adding another reinforces the idea that you are passionate about service. With only 2 weeks before the test you aren’t going to be able to improve that much through studying. While on your trip you should try to do maybe 1 PT (you can break it down into 2 sessions of 2 sections even) and review.

My biggest concern would be how much time you have between returning from the trip and taking the test. Don’t take the test jet lagged. For this July test you can cancel and retake for free if you don't like your score so if you really want to do this trip I say go for it.

• ericauhunmwanghoericauhunmwangho Core Member
    108 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    I think you should go on the trip if you want to, but don’t do it for admissions purposes. You already have a mission trip on your resume, so adding another reinforces the idea that you are passionate about service. With only 2 weeks before the test you aren’t going to be able to improve that much through studying. While on your trip you should try to do maybe 1 PT (you can break it down into 2 sessions of 2 sections even) and review.

My biggest concern would be how much time you have between returning from the trip and taking the test. Don’t take the test jet lagged. For this July test you can cancel and retake for free if you don't like your score so if you really want to do this trip I say go for it.

Thank you thats basically where I was on the scale of things,. If i were togo on the trip I would have about 5 days until the exam so maybe as much as I want to go. I really also felt that I should go even more because it would put something more on my resume but if having a mission trip on there already does the job I can find local volunteer work that may bring in a something more substantial.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

If you’re doing it because you think it will look good on your resume/application don’t bother.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    If you’re doing it because you think it will look good on your resume/application don’t bother.

Second this thought. Do it because it's important to you, and if it's not important, don't. It looks good on paper, but in an interview, they'll sniff it out. People do this sort of thing often to bolster their softs.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

FYI bro, being religious is not a soft.

• ridglea.k.willardridglea.k.willard Free Trial Member
    28 karma

I scored some of my all-time highest PTs right after two weeks of backpacking Iceland with my best friend (and only studying 45 min - 1.5 hours each day). If you come back in a good head space, that can count for something. That being said, I agree that it's only worthwhile to go if you're truly passionate about it.