PT87.S2.Q26 - People should patronize businesses

chadwickangchadwickang Alum Member
edited July 2019 in Logical Reasoning 29 karma

Hey, if anyone has taken this PT yet, can someone explain why the right answer is the right one?

I was able to eliminate the 4 wrong AC's during my BR but I still can't come up with why the right AC is correct.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

help

Admin note: edited title

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Sure I’ll give it a shot.
    The conclusion is that when a business performs a notably ethical action, the news should publicize it to help them patronize the business. The support offered is that media should help businesses that meet “high ethical standards”. Ask yourself, where is the potential hole in this argument. For me, the first thing that stands out is use of similar but clearly different terms. “Meeting high ethical standard” and “notably ethical action”. AC B says that meeting high ethical standards is primarily a matter of “refraining from unethical behavior” which is not the same as a “single notably ethical action.”

• chadwickangchadwickang Alum Member
    29 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    The conclusion is that when a business performs a notably ethical action, the news should publicize it to help them patronize the business. The support offered is that media should help businesses that meet “high ethical standards”. Ask yourself, where is the potential hole in this argument. For me, the first thing that stands out is use of similar but clearly different terms. “Meeting high ethical standard” and “notably ethical action”. AC B says that meeting high ethical standards is primarily a matter of “refraining from unethical behavior” which is not the same as a “single notably ethical action.”

I think I was trying too hard to look at this from a formal-logical perspective. So if I understand this correctly, because meeting high ethical standards is mostly refraining from unethical behavior, does it mean that the news media wouldn't really be able to motivate people enough to patronize that business, because it's most likely not going to be a "notably ethical action"?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@chadwickang said:

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

I think I was trying too hard to look at this from a formal-logical perspective. So if I understand this correctly, because meeting high ethical standards is mostly refraining from unethical behavior, does it mean that the news media wouldn't really be able to motivate people enough to patronize that business, because it's most likely not going to be a "notably ethical action"?

No not quite. I think it's ok to look at this from with formal logic (I just tend to do it better the other way).

Here's what we're given. Sorry if the wording is off, I don't have the question in front of me.

"if company meets high ethical standard THEN media should support"
    (If A then B)

The argument says, "Company performed notably ethical action." Therefore "media should support."

We're asked to weaken. So we must attack the support. Answer choice B does this because it tells us simply performing a notable ethical action does not qualify as "meeting high ethical standards." since it's not the same thing, we can't say it's sufficient to require media to support them.

It might help to think of how you might strengthen this argument. If the answer choice said "the best way to meet high ethical standards is through a notably ethical action" then it would provide support for the conclusion.

• chadwickangchadwickang Alum Member
    29 karma

Ohhhh

That makes so much more sense!! Thank you so much!

• changejudgechangejudge Member
    72 karma

I also got the question wrong originally. The way I've explained answer B to myself is that if "meeting H.E.S. is primarily a matter of refraining" then that's not necessarily the same as "performing a notably ethical action." Maybe the business performed one notably ethical action, but it's been doing several other unethical actions (not refraining) thus failing HES and not deserving media coverage.

This Q was definitely tricky, however. The correct AC uses weak wording by saying that meeting HES is "primarily" a matter of refraining.