True BR Score--After Doing Flagged Questions or After Doing Flagged and Wrong but not Not-Flagged?

hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
edited July 2019 in General 102 karma

I'm trying to figure out how to get my proper BR score. While I PT I flag the questions I missed and the questions I didn't do because I ran out of time (generally marked with the same AC if they are all consecutive and towards the end). Should I :

A) Do flagged questions and then score the timed PT and the BRd PT
B) Do flagged questions, check to see if I missed any questions I didn’t flag (without checking/remembering what the correct AC was) do those, keep ACs I chose for flagged questions and then score the timed PT and BRd PT?
C) Score the Bad PT twice: once after doing flagged questions and then once after doing the questions that were wrong but I did not circle them (I will just keep note of the first BR score after doing just flagged questions)
I do not intend to score the flagged question attempt if I still got it wrong or chose the wrong AC after BRing--I will just go review it, watch the video explanation and come back to it another time.

This is mainly for LR. I plan on just doing the LG section untimed, drilling it until I am under target time for each game and at 100% accuracy and then I will add the correct AC to that section in the BR score. I also plan on doing the RC section untimed to make and scoring that section into BR score.

I am also working with a blank copy (writing in July so just in case) but would like to know how any of this may be possible with digital because I plan to write in September as well.

BR Method for the True BR Score
  1. Which BR Method for the True BR score? Please add suggestions or tweaks in the comments!;)3 votes
    1. A-
      100.00%
    2. B
        0.00%
    3. C
        0.00%

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

You will learn a lot about yourself and your weak areas by missing questions you thought you were 100% on. It's a different sort of learning from attempting the question again untimed, knowing you got it wrong. You can still do that, but do it after you've got your BR score.

Flagging questions is reserved for questions you could not completely verify why the right answer is right or wrong answer is wrong. You circle (flag on digital) any question you want a second look at because you didn't understand or you were stuck between 2+ answer choices, or if you were confident of the right answer and didn't eliminate all the wrong answers.

When you score the fully BR'd test, you may miss a few that you didn't circle. Just go through the question again without really knowing which AC is correct and figure it out. You still benefit from doing the work on your own (instead of just watching the videos), and you can articulate why you missed the question (understanding issue, misread, didn't eliminate the rest of the ACs, or eliminated the correct answer choice and gave a later answer choice more credit than it was merited (usually E).

• hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
    102 karma

@drbrown2 Thank you. This comment was very helpful!

102 karma

"You will learn a lot about yourself and your weak areas by missing questions you thought you were 100% on. It's a different sort of learning from attempting the question again untimed, knowing you got it wrong. You can still do that, but do it after you've got your BR score."

@drbrown2 Does this go for questions I did not get to because I ran out of time as well?

2227 karma

@hurdlehopper101 said:
    @drbrown2 Does this go for questions I did not get to because I ran out of time as well?

I would just BR those straight away. Circle anything you weren’t sure about or didn’t have enough time for. The ones you don’t BR and miss are red flags

102 karma

@drbrown2 So my BR score accounts for all flagged questions only (those I was unsure about AND those I never got to because I ran out of time)?

2227 karma

Yes the BR score takes timing out of it and revisiting only the flagged questions helps identify overconfidence errors/misreads. I tend to redo the LG section and just do the games over again with a stopwatch to keep timing notes, so that's fine to include in your BR score. I'll experiment with splitting into sub game boards and see what works best for me, then compare that to the video explanations.

The score itself doesn't tell the whole story of your potential though, because like I said you can learn a lot from the questions you thought you got right and didn't flag. For RC you want to break down each paragraph in the passage with a low resolution textual and structural summary and note the author's tone and the main point. You can improve a lot on RC by breaking down the passages, without even looking at the questions. BR is so much more than just revisiting questions.

102 karma

@drbrown2 Thank you! Will definitely add this to my BR studying!