Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full-Time Work and PTs

shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 463 karma
Hello everyone,
I took the LSAT in September 27, 2014. I got a 145. It was a confidence killer, but I picked myself back up and I have started my prep for a retake in June or October. I'm trying my best to forget what I learned the first time around and start from scratch on my prep work. I registered for the 7Sage Starter Course so I could start the lessons. I plan on upgrading to Premium this week. I took the June 2007 PT this weekend. I got a 149 timed and a 155 BR. I see it as progress.

Furthermore, I am a non-traditional student. I turn 30 next week. I've been out of school a couple of years. And I've been working on and off in customer service. I was unemployed the first time I was preparing for the LSAT. But I went back to work October 6, 2014. I work full-time (M-F 8:30-5PM) and I have a long commute through heavy traffic. By time I get home, I want to crash and have other things to take care of to live life. I work in a small call center and I can usually do the lessons and quizzes in between calls or on a slow day. But the problem is with the PTs. The only time I have a 3-4 hour block of time to devote to a PT is on the weekends. Unless I was to time each section individually instead the test as a whole then maybe I could do some through the week, but I would imagine splitting timed sections for a full PT would not be advised. I suppose BR could be split but not the timed PT. So, what I did with the June 2007 test was I took the fully timed 4 section PT Saturday, took a break, did my BR that evening (probably rushed a bit) and I reviewed and watched explanations Sunday and I'll continue through the week.

I'm trying not to rush through my 7Sage course but I am also trying to finish it with plenty of time. But I am also trying to take as many PTs as possible. I have 30-something weeks if I take October. I'm trying to figure out how many PTs I should take and when I should start based off my tight schedule. I have about 40 PTs and the three February ones in SuperPrep. Of course, I logically cannot take all 40 and can use some of them for 5 section practice runs. I'm thinking maybe I could start taking PTs earlier than on the study schedule and it can help me gauge my progress but I'm also worried about starting too soon and using up PTs too quickly. If it matters my biggest reasoning issues are in LR. LG and RC are mainly timing issues and I think extensive practice will help the logic issues there. I apologize that this was long but any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2015 2116 karma
    Hi there, don't worry about burning through PT's. Be smart with their use. Quality beats quantity. Just because you quickly go through 40 PT's won't guarantee that you'll suddenly be scoring 170+. Since you work full-time, if you plan early enough, you can manage all your PT's on Sat/Sun and do some reviewing over the weekdays.

I highly recommend not using PT 1-38 for full PT's as they are questions used in the 7Sage course as well as drilling packets available from Cambridge lsat. As you go through a 7Sage lesson, you want to drill that particular question or game type repeatedly until you become accurate. Timing will come afterwards.

In the meantime, hold off on PT'ing for at least another month or two (even if you're aiming for June). You really want to devote your limited time to learning the 7Sage curriculum and drilling.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    "In the meantime, hold off on PT'ing for at least another month or two (even if you're aiming for June). You really want to devote your limited time to learning the 7Sage curriculum and drilling."
    This^
    go through the curriculum, get the basics down, do the drills (get Cambridge packets nlee talked about if you want more prep per question type, its worth it) and get them fundamentals down! you have plenty of time b4 you need to start PTing especially if you go with October test date. Working full time while studying is a pain but is doable