Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scored in the 160s for the first time!

RM112015RM112015 Free Trial Member
edited January 2015 in General 192 karma
Hi 7Sage. I recently took a preptest and scored a 161. I have improved immensely since my first diagnosis of 146. My target score is to get a 168 or higher. However, I am still struggling with logical reasoning and reading comprehension, missing around 6-8 questions for each section. I have logic games down, missing between 0-2. My real concern is reading comp though, as I can't seem to finish all of the passages (I only get through 3 and don't have enough time for the last one). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    Well first off...congrats! Always nice to see the fruits of your labor.

Also, if you're at 161 aiming for 168, all you need to do is tighten up your LR to about -2 or -3 each and you're there. Even without RC. So this goal of yours is achievable. Keep that in mind as you continue your studies.

For LR, if you've completed the videos in JY's lessons, I suggest picking up the Cambridge packets for LR and drilling them. Use JY's explanations (for the ones that are available) and work through the rest on your own. Your understanding will grow very quickly if you're serious about the drilling. 20 at a time, un-timed per question type, until you've done about 3 sets, then start timing once you get to the harder stuff (they're ordered).

For RC, figure out which question types you're getting wrong and then look into your LR sections to see if you miss them there too. For example, are you getting the MP/MC question wrong at the start of each passage? Do you get these wrong in LR too? If so, drill them. Rinse repeat for the others. Remember, RC isn't special, it's just longer. Something else that might help, take a pile of about 10-15 RC passages, and re-write them at the level of a high schooler. Once you can explain them to a kid, you can definitely answer the related Qs.

Good luck and keep up the progress. You'll be there in no time.
  • SapphireSapphire Alum Member
    289 karma
    how long have you been studying for? Congrats btw!!! 161 is my targetscore too
  • RM112015RM112015 Free Trial Member
    192 karma
    @joegotbored-1 Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I haven't paid for the lessons on 7Sage (broke college student), but I do have access to all the practice tests so I'll work on those.

@Sapphire I started getting acquainted with the foundations of the LSAT between July and August but had no time to study thereafter because of college. I only started doing full on practice tests in December (about 9-10 at this point) and drilled specifically for LGs (using 10 tests) in September and very recently for LR (using 3 tests). I am getting really comfortable with the test at this point and have picked up on many of the patterns that the LSAT constantly exhibits. I no longer fear the test and am able to jump right into it with a confidence I certainly did not have before.

Hopefully I can continue to increase my score!
    289 karma
    Thanks RealMadrid7! I'm going to start trying those out right away before the February LSAT
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    CONGRATULATIONS! THEYRES NO STOPPING YOU MAN! :) . Look up Graeme Blakely's RC suggestions. Google him or message me . He has these brain training techniques that helped me and i used to read like a 3rd grader. if rc is your only problem trust me you got this man
  • RM112015RM112015 Free Trial Member
    192 karma
    Thanks to all for the feedback!
  • LSATRudra!LSATRudra! Alum Member
    13 karma
    @marleybaby Hi there! what are these techniques that you're talking about here? I am having problems with RC as well. The only thing that I am solid are the games where I am always 0 to -3 or under. My LR is better than RC though somewhere between -10 to -7 (LR) whereas for RC, I usually have more than -12. Thanks! How are you faring on the LR and RC?
  • LSATRudra!LSATRudra! Alum Member
    13 karma
    @marleybaby found them. Thanks. Looking on it now. Graeme Blake I suppose. :D
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    ok man @LSATRudra!
    http://lsatprep180.com/the-lsat-and-reading-speed-change-headline/#more-1638

If anything aint clear or you want to see if his stuff worked on me fast or slow or what i did or whatever just message me again!

289 karma
    @marleybaby. Thanks!!!!
    289 karma
    @RealMadrid7 you.are.a.genius!!! your method helped me to reach the 160s! and i've been trying it out for a week!!! after, i took a preptest and scored the highest ever! I literally went up by 11 points! I could kiss you right now! now im drilling with the Cambridge question types, and going over those lgs like a boss before the exam next week! Thank you sooo much!!
    @marleybaby that link is the bomb!!! i've been using his techniques for a week and i've been flying through passages like crazy! I haven't been able to do that since high school, so thank you soo much!

You guys are amazing!!