LR-Matching the double-dip qeustions on LSAT Trainer p.94

giyong.0516giyong.0516 Free Trial Member

Hi,
I am enjoying learning lsat through LSAT Trainer. I was not sure if I can post a question regarding the contents in that book. But I was too confused, so I came here for a help.
I am confused because I do not see the difference btw the two statements.
1.Mistakes necessary characteristics for sufficient ones, and falls to consider other factors necessary or potentially important to the conclusion.
2. Takes for granted that having characteristics important for an outcome is enough to reasonably expect that outcome.

Can I just all say that it confuses a necessary condition for a sufficient one? Its hard for me to see the subtle differences that the author made.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Looks like there's 3 different ideas in these sentences. To take something for granted is talking about making an assumption. Then in the first sentence, the first part is what you're talking about--confusing necessary and sufficient, while the second part, "failing to consider other factors" would be a separate idea, like maybe the arguer is saying one thing, X is responsible for another, Y, but maybe there's other factors going on. Hope this helps. Also, there are additional resources available that people often use in conjunction with the Trainer that you might find helpful. And it's very good to keep asking questions.

• giyong.0516giyong.0516 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

Thank you for your comment! I appreciate it. And what resources are you recommending?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The courses on here will take you through the Core Curriculum, which is helpful. ThinkingLSAT has a series with FUNdamentals for each section so if you like podcasts maybe try it. And LSATUnplugged on YouTube has helpful teaching.

edited August 2019 8 karma

Thank you for all your suggestions. I would love to utilize those resources! /

one more question though..Aren't these seriously saying the same thing?
    1. Takes for granted that having chaeacteristics important for an outcome is enough to reseanobaly expect that outcome.
    2. Takes for granted that a characteristic important for an outcome will ensure that outcome.

I am not sure why the author seperated these two as different answers.

Thank you, again for your help!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited August 2019 2689 karma

I see them as being very similar. Maybe the only difference I can really tell is that the first Q says reasonably expect, where as the other says "will ensure". One is like "yeah, this will probably happen" and the other is totally sure that it will.

8 karma

Thank you for stating it so clrealy. Very helpful!

• tomdesablatomdesabla Core Member
    54 karma

" an outcome will ensure that outcome."

That sounds like sufficient assumption talk. If something is sufficient, then it ensures that the outcome will happen