Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about modifying Personal Statements?

KlaraHenryKlaraHenry Alum Member

Hi! I have a "general" PS that I'm using for most schools/modifying based on word count restrictions, but I'm wondering if schools want every PS to mention why I want to attend their school? that is to say, should each PS still be modified to explain why I want to go to X school, even those that don't explicitly mention it or those that also have a supplementary essay about Why X? Any input much appreciated!

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I would do more research into this, but I would say no, don't do that. It may be a good idea for your application to answer the "why law school" question, but do not feel the need to say "Why X law school." Take this as an opportunity for them to get to know you in a meaningful way, something powerful that you experienced that caused you to grow as a person (and yes, part of that growth might include, "why law school").

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

While there surely are people who are admitted to excellent programs with personal statements that do not specifically answer the Why Law? question, there are also admissions professionals who strongly feel that a personal statement to a professional school like law school should clearly answer the questions: Why law? Why you? Why now? and For what reasons?

You do not necessarily need to specify why you want to attend a particular law school in your personal statement (unless the school's prompt specifically requests it), but it has definitely been done, particularly if you want to show extra love for a specific school from the get go. If you go that route, you must make sure that you upload the correct personal statement to the correct school. Otherwise, you can show detailed interest in a school by including a Why X essay. This essay could be submitted with the initial application, later in the cycle if it seems like your file is on hold, or later should you end up on a waitlist.