Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Essay Formatting - 7Sage Forum

Essay Formatting

I've read that personal statements should be 11 or 12 pt font, double spaced. Does the same apply to diversity statement, GPA addendum, etc? Additionally, do these ever begin with a salutation like "Dear Admissions"?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Usually each school's application instructions will explain the spacing and formatting. And/or the admission's websites.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

The diversity statement should clearly be shorter than the personal statement. Keeping it to about one page, double spaced, and with normal margins is a good idea. Addenda, generally, should also be concise, factual, and to the point (unless you have a lot of items to list and discuss). Don't address them to anyone. Just start writing. Good luck!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited September 2019 2689 karma

My two cents...
    Double spacing, same font and size for all of your essays and addenda makes your application look very uniform. Most schools I've applied to want 11 pt font. UCLA requires 12 pt, though. Pay close attention to what they want.
    Also, use the header and put your name, what the writing is (ie. "Personal statement"), and your lsac #. Use the footer for page number. God forbid they drop your printed file, they can reassemble it super easy.
    And no.. an address such as "Dear admissions" makes it a letter. Treat them more like essays than letters.

Hope that helps!