PT86.S3.Q26(P4) - Physicists discuss the Big Bang

timyoder8timyoder8 Core Member
edited September 2019 in Reading Comprehension 44 karma

B. The initial space of our universe resembles cold, empty space
C. A hot and dense state is a state of low entropy

Correct answer is C. I chose B. After watching JY's explanation I still have unanswered questions about this problem.

The passage implies that a small, hot, dense universe has low entropy. I see that. But the answer removes two key terms, small and universe. Entropy increases with temperature and decreases with density, so after removing two key terms, small and universe, we are left with one factor that increases entropy and one factor that decreases entropy. Are we to assume that removing these two key terms that the state of entropy does not change? I feel like we are not provided with enough information on entropy to make that assumption. I believe it to be more reasonable to assume that the author has a proper understanding of entropy (is this too much of an assumption?). There could easily be a state that is both hot and dense with a very random distribution of gas molecules that would not necessarily be a state of low entropy.

I also feel like the reason JY dismisses Answer Choice B isn't correct. The initial state of our universe being cold, empty space (a natural state) is C&C’s addition to other physicists's Multiverse Theory. We've already agreed (Q20) that C&C theorize that our universe is a result of an energy fluctuation in a high entropy universe, and C&C's reasoning that the state of our universe would have been a cold, empty state that was not low entropy (and, if I understand entropy correctly, not necessarily a state of high entropy like JY claims, just a natural state.)

It seems to make more sense to me for the author (a sympathetic reporter) to agree with the theory of C&C than to make a slightly misguided statement about the laws of thermodynamics.

I know the LSAT is never wrong, so if someone could please explain to me what I am missing, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: clarified a couple points and spelling.

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q#(P#) - [brief description of stimulus]"

Admin note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-86-section-3-passage-4-passage/
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-86-section-3-passage-4-questions/

Comments