Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are my chances to get in to a T14?

nkhan201nkhan201 Core Member
edited September 2019 in Law School Admissions 10 karma

Hey everyone, could use your advice about what my chances for a T14 school look like.

I have a BA in Psychology from a meh school w/ a 2.7 GPA (graduated 2014). GPA is low because of personal issues, family issues, and financial problems. Ended up working 11 different jobs during undergrad. I then moved to India for three years where i did a second BA in Islamic Law and Theology, where I graduated in the 1st division. In 2019, I graduated with a MA in Religious Studies (3.7 gpa) where my dissertation intersected on mental health, religion, law, and ethics. I am also fluent in reading and writing Urdu and Arabic. The program also allowed me to study at Harvard Divinity School, where my professor also had a law school appointment, and agreed to write me a recommendation. I'm also a community activist that was recently accepted to a fellowship in Germany and Poland to study the ethics that allowed the Holocaust to occur. I'm currently finishing up the PowerScore books and will be taking practice tests by next week hopefully. But...

Despite all of this, my grades from undergrad still haunt me. I know there's 5-6 years between undergrad and the time I apply, I still need some advice and affirmation as to whether I have a shot at a T14 school? How about YSH/Chicago/Columbia? Thanks.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 2227 karma

I think the best thing to emphasize your recent academic success and the obstacles you faced in undergrad is to get a high LSAT score. You can look at the various mylsn users with sub 3.0 gpas and high LSATs and see what their outcomes were. Polish your story behind your decision to pursue law school and make sure you really want this. Authenticity will help you craft a compelling personal statement. The LSAT score would tie everything together, and could potentially get you into one of the lower T14 schools. People do get into lower T14 schools with sub 3.0 gpas, but it is rare. Never rule anything out because your story is unique, but realize that there are a ton of amazing law schools outside of the T14 that are much less of a reach. If it's T14 or bust before you've even taken the LSAT it may not be the right decision.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Okay so without an LSAT score, even the concept of "chances" is nonexistent. You need an official LSAT score to start talking about chances at any law school.

• nkhan201nkhan201 Core Member
    10 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    I think the best thing to emphasize your recent academic success and the obstacles you faced in undergrad is to get a high LSAT score. You can look at the various mylsn users with sub 3.0 gpas and high LSATs and see what their outcomes were. Polish your story behind your decision to pursue law school and make sure you really want this. Authenticity will help you craft a compelling personal statement. The LSAT score would tie everything together, and could potentially get you into one of the lower T14 schools. People do get into lower T14 schools with sub 3.0 gpas, but it is rare. Never rule anything out because your story is unique, but realize that there are a ton of amazing law schools outside of the T14 that are much less of a reach. If it's T14 or bust before you've even taken the LSAT it may not be the right decision.

Thanks Dr. Brown. So one of my eventually goals is to get into academia down the line. Though I don't believe I'm in a T14 or bust mindset, lacking a place in academia isn't something I want to forego.

• nkhan201nkhan201 Core Member
    10 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:
    Okay so without an LSAT score, even the concept of "chances" is nonexistent. You need an official LSAT score to start talking about chances at any law school.

Thanks Regis. That's where my priorities are at right now. My diagnostics are in the low 160s. My initial practice test was in the 140s, so I've improved. I'm hoping to improve it towards a 170 before January, though if not, I have another 6-8 months before applying for Fall 2021.

Hence, my original post is obviously contingent upon doing extraordinary on the LSAT 🙂.