Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For NYC test takers, do you bring your phone on way to test center?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
in General 1755 karma

Hey all

So my October LSAT is in the grand Hyatt NYC hotel, which is in midtown. I’m coming from NJ so I’m taking the NJ transit to Penn station. I’m thinking I might need my phone in this journey to use google maps as I make my way to the test center. Is there a place I can put my phone at like the hotel before I enter the test cite? Or should I make the commute from NJ to NYC without my phone, and just memorize the directions in my head?

Also, if Anyone had experience testing in grand Hyatt nyc or at hotel, would love any feedback or advice. Thank you!

Comments

• Anonymouse-1Anonymouse-1 Alum Member
    189 karma

I would never recommend that you not abide by the rules of the test center but having taken the test multiple times both bring my phone and not, I can attest to the experience of either:

Scenario 1) Not taking the phone: Write down on a piece of paper, that you will later discard, the exact directions you will need to follow: subway lines, street names, distance, etc. It's a lot but it doable. Discard paper upon arrival.

Scenario 2) Take the phone, use for maps THEN TURN IT OFF and put it in a thick jacket pocket so you dont risk it being seen. I've done this and had no issues but you wouldnt want a misconduct b/c it went off during a test. Actually write on a sticky note to turn it off after you get to the test center (I did this... we have enough to worry about as it is)

BONUS:
    Scenario 3) If you dont mind fronting $100, get an AirBnB/Hotel right across the street from your test center. Then you can easily memorize the few streets it takes to get to the location.

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

There are places in the city that have lockers you can rent out. I live in one of the outer boroughs, so I'll just be leaving my phone at the nearest gym. I'm taking mine at the Sheraton hotel in Times Sq.
    Check out NYRR RUNCENTER by Columbus Circle, I think you can use one of their lockers for free during the day, but don't quote me on that.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    edited October 2019 1810 karma

I highly recommend NOT bringing the phone. I'm taking it at the HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA right across from Penn Station. I just think the phone adds to the stress.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Another option is to see if you can give your phone to the hotel staff (the check-in reception area). They might be able to hold your phone and give you a ticket in exchange so that way when you're done with the exam, you can hand them the ticket and they can give you your phone back. I've never tried this with a phone, but I always do this when I travel with suitcases and do not want to carry them with me wherever I go.