Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 weeks left. Any advice. RC is Killing my score!

b.munich8b.munich8 Alum Member
edited January 2015 in February 2015 LSAT 12 karma
I am currently scoring -8 on LR, -2 to -4 on LG, but -15 on RC (Best of - 12).
With 2 weeks left. Do you guys suggest I work entirely on RC? People told me to work more on LR since it is two sections but RC is really killing my score...

My goal is to get above 160 (raw score 70) and right now my raw score is around 60ish. I have been working primarily on my LR by drilling and reviewing the videos but the score does not seem to be changing as much. I assume since my RC score is SO bad, I would have much more room for improvement. Is two weeks enough?

Anyone who has had similar experiences in RC please give me some advice. Thanks!

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Are you going -8 per LR section?
    A -15, -4, -8 is a total of -27, which is about a 74 raw score.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2015 812 karma
    Since your missing 15 on RC maybe try to focus on just three passages but try to get most of the questions right. and then guess the same letter on the last RC passage and you are likely to get one of them right.
  • b.munich8b.munich8 Alum Member
    12 karma
    Thanks guys. I get -8 per LR So 16 in total.....
    2116 karma
    My honest opinion.....you should seriously consider postponing till June. In my own progress, I made it a priority to improve on LR because that's 50% of your score. I used to get more than -15 wrong per LR section and now down to -2 to -5 per LR section. As you can imagine, that did wonders for my overall score. RC is the section, by a long shot, that is hardest to improve on. It took me months going from -15 or more on RC to barely -7 and still is a work in progress.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    it also depends on amount of time you have to dedicate and if you truly dedicate that time properly
  • bmcd921bmcd921 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    Try timing yourself to see how long it takes you to just read the passage. I did this, and was surprised to find that what felt slow was actually not that slow at all. If you really take the time to absorb the passage and really understand it, then you'll probably spend less time on the questions and it'll all even out at the end of the section. For me, reading the passage quickly then going to the questions was a detriment to my timing and my confidence because I had to keep returning to the passage over and over. This is something that I feel holds true for the LR section as well.

Something else you might try is to really focus on the structure of the passage. Take a few seconds before attacking the questions to make a quick note about what went on in each paragraph, which will help you get the big picture of the passage.

Good luck and remember to stay confident!
  • lsatonmymindlsatonmymind Alum Member
    135 karma
    @ddakjiking How long did it take you to get -2 to -5 wrong on LR? Currently, I am getting about -10 incorrect on each LR section and I would like to get to 21-22/25 by September. Also, can you share any techniques you used to get better at LR?
  • eseebacheseebach Alum Member
    5 karma
    when I started studying I averaged -7 wrong on RC. The most beneficial aproach I came across was to read the first paragraph, then the first sentence of each following paragraph- after which you return to the beginning of the second paragraph. Without changing anything else, that immediately improved my average to 3 wrong per RC section. It helped me anticipate the coming arguments and simplify the structure of the passage- give it a try and see if it works
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Honestly, if you have time, maybe pick up a copy of the LSAT Trainer. Reading Comprehension is my worst section as well. The LSAT Trainer teaches you to look at the passage in terms of structure. Now that I see it as a structure and not as... retaining as much information as possible.... i notice that what's written matters a little less to me and I can really focus on..."how does this paragraph relate to this paragraph?" "what paragraph is support. What is it supporting?" that type of stuff. Might be worth it to check it out if you have two weeks left!
    2116 karma
    @faaaa991 Probably over a span of 2ish months? Spent an entire solely going over the 7Sage Curriculum while drilling the Cambridge Packets and another month to drill by sections and eventually full PT's.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I agree it would be a good idea to postpone. I'm in the same boat as you with missing a lot of questions even on BR. Right now, I am blind reviewing everything. And drilling as much as possible. I can definitely already see a difference by doing the 7Sage curriculum. I know the only way I can get to my goal of 170 is by spreading out my studies and waiting until October for my retake.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    ^ Same boat as you, @shine.on.me. As much as I would LOVE to get this done and over with, I postponed to October to ensure enough study time. Slow and steady!
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    If you're 100% determined to do the February exam, then you have to think strategically. If you're scoring that low, like one of the earlier posters said, concentrate on maybe three passages and try to get all the questions right and if you have time, go over the 4th passage or even just guess. But if you want to wait and postpone, grab a copy of the LSAT trainer and go over the reading comp lessons, they are tremendously helpful. Also, look at JY's explanations of RC passages and try to see the pattern he follows and what he focuses on.