Character and Fitness - amount of detail?

KatasticKatastic Alum Member
edited October 2019 in Law School Admissions 190 karma

I have a pretty embarrassing situation from when I was younger.
Wondering how much detail I need to go into about the actual sequence of events.
I have an optional addendum document written out explaining this entire period of my life.
Thoughts?
Happy to give more details in private messages.
Thanks--
Kat

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

You don’t need to go into detail about the events that led up to it. Just say something simple like, “I was arrested for X on January 1, 1992. After insufficient evidence, X charge was dropped. The type of behavior that led to being involved in an arrest is not a part of my life anymore.” If you start going into a lot of detail about it, it just makes the adcomms think it’s a bigger deal than it is.

• KatasticKatastic Alum Member
    190 karma

@Louislepauvre thanks so much for your insight!

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

Doesn't the question ask if you've ever been convicted of any charge? I was doing apps and as I recall it said "convicted". If this is the case, then you don't need to mention it.

• KatasticKatastic Alum Member
    190 karma

Thanks @cooljon525
    I believe every school words it differently and it is based on the language from that state's bar association.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

I also have written a C+F addendum. The advice I was given was be as blunt as possible (similar to the advice given in the top comment). Be straight up with what happened. "I did X, this was the punishment for doing X, I regret doing X, X does not define who I am now, and I have not done X or anything like X since this event."