PT37.S3.G1 - a school has exactly four dormitories

inactiveinactive Alum Member
edited January 2016 in General 12637 karma
Hey 7Sagers! One of our users is having a bit of trouble with this game and I thought you could help me out! Here's the game:
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-37-section-3-game-1/

And here's the discussion:

7Sager: (Posted over a year ago) J.Y, When I wrote the rule that “If males are assigned to Veblen South, then Wisteria North is assigned males”, I rewrote the contrapositive as “If Wisteria North isn’t assigned males as in if they are assigned females, then Veblen South is not assigned males, as in they are assigned females.” This got me in a lot of trouble with question 5. I have never heard of conditionals being irrelevant. How can you tell, especially from this game?

J.Y.: (Posted over a year ago) Vs M –> Wn M contraposes to Wn F –> Vs F

How did that get you into trouble? It’s the correct contrapositive.

Different 7Sager: (Posted 2 days ago) because it forces F into Wn so for question five Ws is an M thereby making answer choice D incorrect. in fact none of the other answer choices actually work either as far as i can see. i would really like this answered as well please! i have been struggling with it forever!!! ARGH

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    okay so it looks like you are looking at a false reversal. Just because you don’t have Vs M doesn’t mean you need Wn F. Diagram it out, if you put F into Vs what does it do? nothing, you can put a F into Wn or an M because we have no rule that has prohibits it. At the same time, just because Wn F causes Vs F, that does not mean Vs F causes Wn F, all Vs F does is tell you that Wn M is not NECESSARY, but again, it is possible. That is why JY draws the little switch icon (posted there)

the first poster also just seems (to me at least) to be missing that the split board allowed for the rule to be irrelevant, so since it gave him trouble he may have done the same thing as 2nd comment with reversing the rules
  • CLambe02CLambe02 Alum Member
    28 karma
    It takes a considerable amount of work and there might be a better way to do this but I treated this game as an In/Out game. Rule 2 states there are exactly 3 Male Dorms leaving exactly 5 Female Dorms. Account for your rules/contrapositives and fill in the board.