Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

138 to 162, with 4-5 weeks left, what should I do to maximize the gains?

lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
in General 938 karma

Hi all,

I've made some pretty respectable progress since the beginning of my LSAT journey. I went from 138 to the low 160s.
My improvements were:
LR -15 to about -6 (My BR is -2 to -3)
Games: -18 to about -2 (I can go -0 depending on mistakes or not, I make really stupid reading mistakes like assuming that its MBT when it says MBF"
RC: I average -13 (weakest section) and can't get any better, although i don't really practice this.

With only 4-5 weeks left, what should I focus on if I'm trying to score 165+? I want to drill RC for 1-2 weeks to see if I can turn that -13 to to a -7, but I'm not sure if that would be the greatest use of my time. I do 10 in 10 pretty well for LR, but questions 13-20 really stump me.

Open to any advice on how to get the most gains in 4 weeks, considering the information above.

Thanks i love you all, and thanks for reading!

PS: Reschedule isn't an option, I've put this darn test off for like 2 years already. I'm really proud of my improvement so far and want to be done with the LSAT by this Nov. 165+ is the goal, I would be happy with 163-164!

Should I prioritize LR or RC at this point?
  1. Should I prioritize LR or RC at this point?13 votes
    1. Focus mostly on RC
      30.77%
    2. Focus mostly on LR and minimal time on RC
      69.23%

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Don’t want to vote for one over the other because I would suggest you work on RC as hard as you can while still practicing LG and LR every day.

Do a passage with a stopwatch and try to get through all the questions between 8 and 9 minutes. Blind review the passage and write out the main point, structure, low res/high res summaries, various viewpoints, and author’s tone. Go through the questions again and locate in the passage the support for the answer you choose (depending on question type the correct answer will either be explicitly stated in the passage or strongly implied).

If you do one passage every day for 2-3 weeks you will be more comfortable with the types of passages you’re gonna see and common question types. You should still have time for a few games and LR. If your schedule doesn’t allow you to work on all 3 section types every day then you can rotate.

Keep blind reviewing as thoroughly as you can and focus on maintaining good timing instead of worrying about the score. You’ve made great progress already and have room to keep improving.

• chamayaharrischamayaharris Alum Member
    edited October 2019 15 karma

Wowwww, this is great progress. Did you make this progression over a two year span or as of recently? But I personally, would spend four weeks honing in on the imperfections of my strongest areas in LR just to amplify your success, then spend the last two drilling timed reading comp passages.

• 1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
    422 karma

Holy shat thats great improvement!!! May I ask how many PTs did you take?? and how did you study for the LR section? As well as how long have you been studying?

I would probably prioritize LR and obviously still do RC passages, but focus mainly on LR, because there are two sections over LR which is a huge chunk of your score. I also agree with the person that commented above, definitely try to do at least one section of RC a day, maybe read two passages a day.

• 1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
    422 karma

Oops just saw you have been studying for 2 years

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

@chamayaharris @ebby_luna It definitely was not 2 years of straight studying.

I would say that my progress (138-160) is achievable in 4 maybe 5 months of 20-25 hours per week. I am a slow learner, so I definitely think 3 months is possible.

I've taken about 4 PT's, but MANY timed sections. For LR, I stopped doing stuff timed. I spent a whole month learning LR all over again, and doing stuff untimed making sure that I know the material. After getting about -2 untimed, I slowly started doing 5 questoins in 5 minutes, and then 10 in 10. This REALLY helped my score go up from about -12 on LR to -6. I'm still workin on it!

• maxbbarb7maxbbarb7 Alum Member
    182 karma

Hey nice job! My worst section is reading comp too, and it is really hard to improve. I would recommend to just keep taking full practice tests so that way you are practicing everything.