Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many law schools to apply to?

Kgorman3Kgorman3 Free Trial Member

help I was wondering what a good number of law schools to apply to would be? I want to be sure I give myself the best chance, but also make sure I am reasonable as it is an expense to submit an application each time. Thanks!

Comments

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

I'm doing around 6 or 7 schools including 2 safeties

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I did 6. It depends on what you think is right for you. You want a few safeties and a couple reaches, at least. Maybe a few that are on the upper end of reach to later use for negotiation purposes? You don't have to go overboard and do like 20+, but don't sell yourself short, either. I had fee waivers for every application I made, so it only cost about $270 in fees for that ("only" :disappointed:)

• Kgorman3Kgorman3 Free Trial Member
    12 karma

thanks so much for the input! @AudaciousRed how do you go about getting a fee waiver?

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@Kgorman3 said:
    thanks so much for the input! @AudaciousRed how do you go about getting a fee waiver?

Many times, the school will waive the fees automatically and mention that in an email or letter. When you go in to do an application, it'll usually tell you at the disclosure of the fees when you begin whether or not there is a fee waiver on file or not. You still have to always pay the stupid LSAC fee of $45, but not having to pay an additional school fee is quite nice. All of the waivers I had were unsolicited... they just did it and sent me notice that they did. You can ask for them, though, from some schools. Some wont give you a fee waiver unless you're poor. Stanford is one of those schools.
    This is a bit dated, but roughly, this kind of shows what a fee waiver looks like: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129078

Now days, it doesn't mention a CRS waiver, but it does reflect that the school has no charges. If you dont see a waiver mentioned or the school amount is 0, then you dont have a waiver.

• Kgorman3Kgorman3 Free Trial Member
    12 karma

@AudaciousRed Great, thank you very much for your help!!