Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

160-170+ in 4 months?

MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
in General 976 karma

I've been working hard since February this year going through the LSAT trainer, then Lawschooli's LR program, then I saw the light and did the CC here. Over the last 4 months I've seen an increase of about 4-5 points to a 159-160, but I know I can bank at least 5 more points by foolproofing more and shoring up my LR flaws (which are immense lol).

I plan on using Cantgetright's post CC guide (I'll post the link below) and hiring a tutor but can people in general go from -7-10 in LR and -7ish in RC to -2-3 between now and the April test? That's about 4 months for a 10 point improvement and easy points from foolproofing.

Cantgetright's excellent post CC video: https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

Comments

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    edited November 2019 938 karma

I think it's definitely possible. I would say 160-165 is possible even in just a month of you are 1) full time (20-30 hours of week of studying), and studying the right way. The bulk of those 4 months will likely be trying to escape the dreaded 165 into the 170s.

Especially if you're getting a tutor, I think it's very possible. Having someone by your side and teaching you how to attack certain questions/sections is very valuable.

Good luck and you got this :)

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

@lsatgodjk said:
    I think it's definitely possible. I would say 160-165 is possible even in just a month of you are 1) full time (20-30 hours of week of studying), and studying the right way. The bulk of those 4 months will likely be trying to escape the dreaded 165 into the 170s.

Especially if you're getting a tutor, I think it's very possible. Having someone by your side and teaching you how to attack certain questions/sections is very valuable.

Good luck and you got this :)

Thank you!! Do you know any tutors to recommend? Finding a tutor will be my next step

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

well i went from 156 post CC to mid 160s consistently in a few months so its definitley possible. That was post CC too, before CC i was probably like mid 140s

976 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    well i went from 156 post CC to mid 160s consistently in a few months so its definitley possible. That was post CC too, before CC i was probably like mid 140s

Were you using any particular approach to your post CC studies? What ended up working / not working for you?

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

@Markmark It's definitely possible. I started studying in July, with a diagnostic around 160. My average is now well over a 170, but it has taken a lot of work and a focused study plan. I also started at better places in LR and RC, so you may have more of an uphill battle. LG has always given me trouble. It's definitely doable though!

976 karma

@danielbrowning208 said:
    @Markmark It's definitely possible. I started studying in July, with a diagnostic around 160. My average is now well over a 170, but it has taken a lot of work and a focused study plan. I also started at better places in LR and RC, so you may have more of an uphill battle. LG has always given me trouble. It's definitely doable though!

Thanks for the response!! What did your study plan involve and how much time were you putting in daily? What did you find was most effective? Thank you!!!

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

@Markmark I am in school, so I set up my schedule to make LSAT study a priority. With that, I study in the mornings, from 8:30 - 12 on Thursday - Monday, so 5 days a week. With early studying, your mind is engaged. At least for me, much more studying a day would be unfruitful, given my work load, as I also work a job. This is, of course, subject to what works best for you. I would just recommend making a schedule and sticking to it - then studying early while your mind is still fresh if possible.

I would also recommend to do timed sections to address all problems you noticed during your PTs. If you really struggled with flaw questions, for instance, don't take another PT until you address that through timed practice.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

@Markmark I don't, sorry bud, i didn't use any tutors. I do know that @Sami has awesome study sessions that she offers. I haven't joined any yet, but I hope to before my exam in 2 months.

976 karma

@danielbrowning208 said:
    @Markmark I am in school, so I set up my schedule to make LSAT study a priority. With that, I study in the mornings, from 8:30 - 12 on Thursday - Monday, so 5 days a week. With early studying, your mind is engaged. At least for me, much more studying a day would be unfruitful, given my work load, as I also work a job. This is, of course, subject to what works best for you. I would just recommend making a schedule and sticking to it - then studying early while your mind is still fresh if possible.

I would also recommend to do timed sections to address all problems you noticed during your PTs. If you really struggled with flaw questions, for instance, don't take another PT until you address that through timed practice.

Ah so using timed problem sets based on question types that I missed? Or just doing timed LR sections after having reviewed problem types?

976 karma

@lsatgodjk said:
    @Markmark I don't, sorry bud, i didn't use any tutors. I do know that @Sami has awesome study sessions that she offers. I haven't joined any yet, but I hope to before my exam in 2 months.

Thanks!

• Sim SimmaSim Simma Alum Member
    edited December 2019 168 karma

I PT'd 157 on November 18. I PT'd 165 back to back the following week (November 27 and 29). So yes, absolutely possible.

Edit: i thought you said 5 point improvement, my bad. looking to achieve the same myself.

976 karma

Haha man an 8 point jump in 1 week :D That'd be nice. Great job!!!

edited December 2019 168 karma

Thank you but hey we'll see if it's a fluke or not...but the point is it's possible. Persevere my brother and you will get it. In fact my goal is the same as yours.

976 karma

@"Sim Simma" said:
    Thank you but hey we'll see if it's a fluke or not...but the point is it's possible. Persevere my brother and you will get it. In fact my goal is the same as yours.

As I keep going I'll try to keep you updated how the studying is going, please do the same for me!

168 karma

Sounds good